Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,138

2 members and 3,136 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: What is the best substrate?

I use packing paper. And then depending on if the snake likes to burrow I add a side of Aspen. When I had my BP it didn't burrow so I didn't put any aspen. My RTB burrows, so I give it the Aspen. Having the paper under the aspen makes it a little easier to clean because I can just lift out the paper with most of the Aspen on top of it.

Ridgecrest, California...Gateway to Death Valley!
    Thanks

Ok there is no real answer to this question unless you have way more details. Each indivdual has different needs.

Example I live in Death Valley, The humidity is BONE dry here. Literally less then 10%. In the winter I could NOT keep the humidity above 30 or 40%, this was with daily misting with a bug sprayer. I had to resort to Cypress mulch to maintain proper humidity.

NOW its summertime, and I am running a Swamp Cooler(Evaporative cooler)24/7 wich has raised my humidity sky high, I am now using newspaper, for cost effectiveness, ease of use, etc.

So the answer to the question? depends on YOUR needs. Not anyone elses. Your house humidity, your prefferences etc.
    Hope this helps somebody. My tubs have been hitting 90 % humidity a lot lately, so I have been drilling more holes in my rack, and wiping down, changing paper every few days.

Thanks

I recently switched from newspaper to indented 60lb kraft paper and love the stuff. I tried the wood substrates, but after an issue with a vet visit and an infected hemipene and a few swallowed chips I nixed those. Paper just works best for me, and I love the neat look.

I agree though, give some a go and find what works best and appeals most to you.
    `*`

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
    I recently switched from newspaper to indented 60lb kraft paper and love the stuff. I tried the wood substrates, but after an issue with a vet visit and an infected hemipene and a few swallowed chips I nixed those. Paper just works best for me, and I love the neat look.

I agree though, give some a go and find what works best and appeals most to you.
    What does that look like? I've been trying to find something cheaper than Repti Bark that doesn't look terrible in the tank. (Apsen doesn't work for me because of humidity issues.)

Thanks

Big Collection: Newpaper or not sure but theres webs that sell blank new paper, paper

Small: Aspen or Douglas Fir

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrshawt View Post
    What does that look like? I've been trying to find something cheaper than Repti Bark that doesn't look terrible in the tank. (Apsen doesn't work for me because of humidity issues.)
    Here you go:
    http://www.uline.com/BL_1961/Indented-Kraft-Paper

Nice and thick, but still soft.
    `*`

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadera For This Useful Post:

mrshawt (05-29-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ball Python Expert View Post
    Big Collection: Newpaper or not sure but theres webs that sell blank new paper, paper

Small: Aspen or Douglas Fir
    What do you consider a big collection and a small collection? Why would you say that a big collection would use newspaper?

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

I do use paper when treating for mites and so forth. Cheap and easy. I sure don't think it is pretty though.

Thanks

newspaper is the best ive tried a couple things: aspen, turf, paper towels, and newspaper... newspaper is thebest by far u see the urin andhow much urin it is!!!! u see everything and just pick it up asap very easy hold humidity well doesnt tloook the best but it def is the best substrate just my .02

Thanks

I use just aspen. I get it very cheap ($30 for an 8 sq ft bale) and it lasts me 2-3 months between all my snakes (around 15.)

I have used paper towels and newspaper, hated it. I have used the Cypress blend from Home Depot, and although that was extremely cheap, only used it for a month or two as the "blend" part didn't sit well with me. But it was a pain to clean. Held the humidity great though.

Aspen is quick and easy to clean and its cheap, so that's what I'm sticking with. You use what works best for you.

0.1 Piebald "Piper" - 0.1 Lesser "Reese" - 0.1 Spider "Arana" - 0.1 Pinstripe "Inyo"
    0.1 VPI Axanthic "Nami" - 0.1 Black Pastel w/Ringer "Lina" - 0.1 Pastel "Gembi"
    0.1 Normal "Malia" - 1.0 Pastel Het Piebald "Karamu" - 1.0 Enchi "Lada" - 1.0 Pewter "Stone"

OTHER SNAKES...
    0.1 Rosy Boa "Loki" - 1.0 Albino Boa "One Eyed Willie" - 1.0 Albino Boa "Mateo"
    0.1 Orange Sunglow Boa "Caliente" (or just "Cali") - 1.0 Amelanistic Cornsnake "Sunny Tequila"

OTHER HERPS...
    0.2 Leopard Geckos "Keeta & Multan" - 0.2 Crested Geckos "Rexy & Alpha"
    Redfoot Tortoise "LT" - 0.0.1 Strawberry Pineapple Pacman Frog "Polo"

OTHER NON-HERPS...
    0.1 American Bulldog "Maui - 0.1 Shiba Inu "Mako" - 1.0 White Cat "Lucaya"
    0.1 Albino Skunk "Lakota" - 1.0 Hedgehog "Herbie" - 0.1 Chilean Rose Tarantula "Harriet"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast