Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,031

1 members and 1,030 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Started my Site

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Started my Site

The media displayed on the site is only temporary until I can gather my own and I do believe as long as I am not using the material to induce an income, it is not against copyright laws.
    Using copyrighted material without the authorization of the owner is copyright infringement whether or not it generates income.

When people do use copyrighted material on their site they ask first get the permission and then use the material, not the other way around.

If it was me and you ask the permission AFTER you already started using my material I would contact your host and make you take the material down.

It is about respecting people's work and have some ethics which is very important if you plan on becoming a breeder.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    Whats funny is how some people are so harshly ragged on for stealing pictures, and get threads with pages and pages of flames.

This has sat here for ever a month with no flaming, no upsetness (that a word?). I guess its ok if its not your pictures kinda deal????
    lol. i never check dates.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

also if wanting to make a crediable business PAY for a website and not use a free source. www.webs.com gives out free domains with their .webs attached to almost everything on your site. Its not professional in the business sence.

Look at godaddy.com i pay 28$ a year to have my own domain.

Thanks

Well when you are setting up your page as a breeder you'll lose any credibility you may start off by posting other people's animals... so, that is not really a good idea... just keep your post original....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonKingAZ View Post

The media displayed on the site is only temporary until I can gather my own and I do believe as long as I am not using the material to induce an income, it is not against copyright laws. However, with this in mind I did send Markus Jayne an email a while back with no response.
    Like most other replies to this, i'll also let you know it dosen't matter if you're making money or not off images that aren't yours. It just makes it way worse if you're making money off someone elses images.

I'm a photographer, i know this is fact. If someone was caught using any of my images without my personal, express, written permission i'd go to their webhost immediately and ask for the content to be removed. Its happened to many people i know.

you don't even bother to credit ballpython.ca // Marcus Jayne with those images. Its extremely inappropriate behavior, even if they're just "place holders."

If you're looking for place holders, make images yourself, they don't have to be fancy --- open up ms paint and make whatever size square you need and just write "PLACE HOLDER" it won't look great, but thats why its a place holder.

I've emailed Markus Jane // www.ballpython.ca before and it took a while for a response, they wil get back to you. And if they don't, resend the email its possible it got lost somewhere. Its also a pretty busy time for breeders.

Hopefully this can be a learning experience for you. If you want specific ball python pictures, then email people and ask. I'm sure someone, somewhere lets people use their pictures, or you can ask stock websites, etc. There are plenty of free stock photo websites. Just make sure you let people know that the photos on your website belong to someone else.

Registered User Freddiesinmyseat's Avatar
    Thanks

hey, I know it's already been said, but yes...even if you aren't making any monetary profit from the pictures it IS still copyright infringement. using the pictures in a way is still generating an "income" through reputation. when people see those beautiful snakes they will associate them with wherever they see the pics.

I have friends that are photographers and I've seen many instances where they've had to go through web hosts to get pictures taken down. it's best to figure this out now before anything is finalized rather than later when you can have some serious cases against you.

no one here is trying to be rude, they're just trying to inform you. I noticed you kind of came off as rude and defensive before. we're not here to offend you, merely educate. don't attack those willing to help or you'll find yourself with a really bad reputation in the reptile community...and trust me, you don't want that.

also, if you're looking to breed and have a business in 2010 with only having experience with your first ball python...you might want to rethink your business plan. it takes years to get to where most breeders are today and nearly all of them took losses their first few years rather than profit.

again, not trying to be rude or offensive, just letting you know.

either way, good luck and hope you get things up and running smoothly...

another thing, if you DO want to have a reputable name in the herp community, you have to be concerned with the condition of your animals first and your pocket second. don't lose sight of this.
    Visit my blog sometime! Fadere's Cirque du Chaos
    0.2 Normal Ball (Buttery McMuffintop aka Freddie, Slender Q. Thunderpants aka Slim)
    0.1 DSH Housecat (Loki aka Wafflenoggin)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12