Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,864

0 members and 2,864 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Have you been bitten by a ball python

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was under 5 years old

114 48.72%
  • Yes, it was over 5 years old

22 9.40%
  • No, and my ball is under 5 years old

88 37.61%
  • No, and my ball is over 5 years old

10 4.27%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What does a bite from a ball python feel like?

i got bit accidentally by my 4 year old BP during a feeding session. I was lowering a mouse into the tank and she miss calculated the strike and got my hand in stead. It made me jump but i really didn't feel much as far as pain goes. It drew a bit of blood and there was no pain afterwords either. It startled me more then it hurt me to be honest.

Whoever said that a cat scratch hurts a lot more could not be more correct!
    0.1.0 BP { NyXx }

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I am sure the more you get bit the more you get used to it, but the first couple times you were bit did you get startled and pull away fast? Do that harm the snake at all? Most of the post say they stike and pull away fast. Has there been anyone that had the snake try to latch on, but when you got bit and you were the one to pull away did your snake get harmed at all?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by van_garret2000 View Post
    I was just curious as to what ball python bites are like? What they feel like? How bad does it hurt? Do they stirke and release or strike and hold? Will the bite bruise or swell? Stuff like that.
    well really my cuzin got bit by his ball python and he said that it doesnt hurt all u got to do to let go is put something in front of it and it will let go but if u pull back it will put its teeth deeper and that might hurt but after that he just put alcohol n he was good to go

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psycho View Post
    well really my cuzin got bit by his ball python and he said that it doesnt hurt all u got to do to let go is put something in front of it and it will let go but if u pull back it will put its teeth deeper and that might hurt but after that he just put alcohol n he was good to go
    I mean pull back real fast like a reflex action. You don't mean to do it it just happens. Would the snake stay clamped and get yanked with you, or would it just let go in time or could you like yank it's teeth out or damage its jaw or something?

Thanks

snake bites are nothing when comparesto some of the cat starches I gotten over the years. I had one or 2 latch on dureing a feeding response bite and they mostly cause 1 my hand smelled like dinner . ( frome handling rodents and feeding to the other snakes first) and cause by the tiem I got to the other bps they prey was coolingo ff and my hand was warmer target. Those times hurst more than snap bite cause one they apply some pulling pressure as they wrap around your hand,and the teeth will work in deeper cause of the said pressure they apply. THe best way I found ot remove them is unwind them and have someown work butter knives between the teeth and the skin ( make sure to use the back end of the blade), and once you gotten the teeth free from the skin it simple removal. Afterwords it noting more than a normal bite feeling unless they break a tooth off when they bit you.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks

I've only been bitten once by an adult BP (she was 1,900 grams of fury back then) but I was prepared due to her situation and was wearing gloves at the time. She still managed to get a couple of teeth through the gloves though.

The hatchlings/babies are another matter. I've got one that tried to bite me when she was barely out of her egg and still to this day will nail me if she can manage it LOL. She's just a treat that girl! I always seem to laugh when the little bp's take a swing at me. So small and yet so determined to bite the hand that feeds them. It's sort of cute really.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Well...it feels like a snake bite.

OK. I'll stop being a smart ass. I was bitten by a overzealous baby at feeding time. Hurt some, not bad. More of a shock, "wow she's fast", that type of thing.
    Didn't bleed much. Washed it out and forgot about it.
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

Thanks

I think it feels like what it would feel like if a small child flicked you. I've been bit by a yearling macklott's python, too, and that didn't hurt either. I was holding her while I was cleaning the enclosure with my other hand, and she bit and latched on to me. I didn't even realize she bit me until I looked down and saw her latched onto my hand and a little blood dripping down my arm. Bites bleed easy, but they don't hurt at all if the snake is small. Abig one might hurt a little, but not much. My Biak type GTP had way larger teeth than a big ball would, and he bit me all the time. It always looks 20x worse than it feels.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Registered User grim reaper in NY's Avatar
    Thanks

I remember the guy across the street from me in Florida had a Burmese Python and his roommate thought he was going to get friendly with it. That snake bit him on the shoulder and really did alot of damage to him. Skin tears, bruising, the whole deal. Of course this snake was going on 8' in length as well. Shortly after that the snake was destroyed because it had gotten too wild for the guy to keep.
    I work in the E.R. and we've had people come in with snakebites before. A couple were pegged by Ball Pythons. Of those, a couple managed to get the bite site infected and ended up with i.v. anitbiotics for a couple of days. I guess it all depends on how well you clean the strike site afterwards and so forth as well.
    Had a rattlesnake bite come in last year as well. It was a "dry bite" and the girl was lucky. She was in the yard with her dog and went to sit down in the grass. The dog was acting reluctant to come over and she leaned over, putting her hand out on the lawn and startled the rattler. The snake struck between the thumb and forefinger, but again, it was a dry bite. She was kept in the E.R. for several hours though to ensure no ill effects settled in from the bite.
    As everyone has said, cat bites and scratches are simply the worst. We admit patients all the time because of infections that set in after a cat bite or scratch. Cats are nasty and dirty animals that harbor infection in the mouths and claws. I love cats, but man, when I see what they can do to their owners, even when they are just playing, I'll take my iguanas and bearded dragons anyday and hopefully a ball python in the near future as well.
    Later,

Bri

0.1 - Pastel Ball Python
    2.0 - Normal Ball Pythons

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Snake bites feel like kisses.

The bigger the snake, the bigger the kiss.

Hots just give you the hots afterwards

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast