Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,809

0 members and 2,809 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: what is best python to breed with normal bp

Quote Originally Posted by rocky88 View Post
    i have a normal bp and was wanting to breed it but dont want to with just another normal because i'm looking to get more than 40 dollars a snake.just curious what other breed of python can i breed with my normal that can give me more money and looks pretty cool. please help, new and curious, please!!!!!!!! much appreciated
    The best "breed" to mate with a ball python is obviously another ball python. I have heard of breeding them to blood pythons to make something called "superballs" but If you are refering to what ball python morph would be good I would say it depends entirely on your budget and what you are looking to get If you have the money By all means I say a blue eyed luecy or a pied but again you are going to shell out a pretty penny especially for a breedable female male morphs tend to be cheaper so I would say but a normal female and a morph male but thats me as far as a wedsite goes check out www.bhbreptiles.com or just type in ball python morphs or breeders and you can comb through them

Thanks

That really depends on how much you're willing to spend. A pastel isn't too pricey and will probably fit your price range. If you want to go bigge then maybe a super pastel or a lesser. Really any codom/dom morph would be good like someone said previously. It's really how much you want to spend on it.

Thanks

How long have you had BPs?
    How much research have you done?
    Do you know the difference between a "breed" and a "morph"?
    How much money are you willing to spend?

No one can choose for you. If you decide to breed your snake(s) it is totally up to you as to what morph you choose.
    You have a computer please use it, go to Google, or Yahoo, and look up all you can about breeding.
    Also consider, that having a snake for 2 or 3 months does not make you ready to breed.
    And another thing, getting a female morph that is a year away from breeding size is going to cost you, a lot more than if you got a hatchling and raised it up for 3+ years.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamieLynn For This Useful Post:

Bruce Whitehead (03-07-2009),snakelady (03-13-2009),southernboagurl (03-09-2009)

Thanks

Breeding snakes costs money!! dont look a this as a way to make money. I have around 10grand into my animals so far and I havent made !@#!.
    Granted I have hopes for this year but the whole process is costly.With the way the economy is going we are looking at reduced demand for BPs and therefore reduced prices.
    IE I paid $800 for a spider ball python last year. this year he is worth 400 or so since he's really nice.
    Take a look at feeding requirements, prices on incubators, and how much it would cost to set up the proper housing with temperature control etc for breeder snakes.
    Think about vet costs. what are you going to do if your expensive female morph gets sick after you spend years raising her up to be breeder sized??
    The last thing you should consider is that it is a year between breeding seasons. Thats a really long time to wait. If you really want to make money in the reptile industry think about raising feeders. ASFs and Rats are always in demand. My buddy pays for his snake hobby (~50 animals, lots of NICE morphs) by breeding rats in his garage.

Best of luck; just make sure you research in depth before spending alot of money.

Albie

Thanks

You could get a yellow belly for under 200 dollars. But if your doing this to make money this isn't the way to go. You need to spend money to make money. You wont make any money breeding a normal ball to any morph for several years. If you really want to make money you should buy an unrelated pair of a cheaper morph like a yellow belly and breed them together. Then you have a 25%chance of making Ivories which go for around a grand. But the prices are always dropping. In another couple years Ivories will be selling for 300 dollars.
    Do your research and get all the propper equipment for breeding and plan on spending lots of money.

Thanks

Usually people get an expensive male and use normal females to breed to the mutated males. If you want to breed for expensive hatchlings, I'd suggest buying an '08 female pastel, YB, mojave, cinnamon, etc and start to raise her up while reading as much as you can about husbandry and breeding. Then in a year buy a nice '09 male morph. It will take the female 2 years to raise up to a healthy breeding size, and if you get a male next year he will be cheaper than buying the same morph this year. With proper husbandry and feeding, he should be ready to breed to your female after a year. Then you'd have two years of reading and experience under your belt, so when the time to breed comes you will have a good grasp of what's going on. So if you buy a female mojave now, then a male pastel next year, when the time comes you will hatch out mojaves, pastels, pastaves and normals, and the following year you can breed a nice pastave male back to the mojave mom and hatch out mojaves, pastels, pastaves, BELs, pastel BELs and normals.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

a
    I'm not your friend buddy!

Thanks

bumblebee!! invest in a bee & you can get some cool morphs don't just breed normals its not worth it .
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Thanks

I'm just going to post my question here--I have a norm male and female, what are ALL the dominate or co-dominate morphs? and, what exactly does that mean? If I get a dominate, will the offspring ALWAYS be the dominate morph?

(sorry, new to genetics. Sorry if this has already been posted. I skimmed and didn't see)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flicker View Post
    I'm just going to post my question here--I have a norm male and female, what are ALL the dominate or co-dominate morphs? and, what exactly does that mean? If I get a dominate, will the offspring ALWAYS be the dominate morph?

(sorry, new to genetics. Sorry if this has already been posted. I skimmed and didn't see)
    Here's a partial list of ball python base mutations with explainations: www.jwexotics.com/morphs
    I hope this is helpful.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast