Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,939

1 members and 1,938 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Whirlwind / Spector / Super Stripe Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristen View Post
    that's very interesting... however, a Super Stripe to a Yellow Belly would in fact produce Ivories if the same allele theory is correct... the real test will be if breeding that ivory to a normal produces any het SuperStripes... I personally doubt as I favor the same allele theory according to the results we've seen so far, I'd say it's the most plausible explanation... however, we can't be sure without further breeding.. anybody that has the SuperStripe project in hand appear to be aiming for more SuperStripes... so I'm sure we'll get more (probably lots) SuperStripe to normal breedings in 2009... what I'm curious about, is what the super Spector/Whirlwind will be? I think people should try to work on that one... could be something new, exciting and unexpected... who knows?

Regards,
    Bristen.

Right you are Bristen. In SS projects, it will be the Spector FEMALES and male/female Super Spectors that will be the powerhouse breeding jewels.

Breedable Ivory females would not be a bad second place!!!
    Bill Buchman

Thanks

that's very interesting... however, a Super Stripe to a Yellow Belly would in fact produce Ivories if the same allele theory is correct... the real test will be if breeding that ivory to a normal produces any het SuperStripes... I personally doubt as I favor the same allele theory according to the results we've seen so far, I'd say it's the most plausible explanation... however, we can't be sure without further breeding.. anybody that has the SuperStripe project in hand appear to be aiming for more SuperStripes... so I'm sure we'll get more (probably lots) SuperStripe to normal breedings in 2009... what I'm curious about, is what the super Spector/Whirlwind will be? I think people should try to work on that one... could be something new, exciting and unexpected... who knows?

Regards,
    Bristen.
    I am still trying to grasp the whole same Allele thing but I know that when the news of Mark hatching it was released in a thread over on Kingsnake it caused quite a commotion. I saved the thread on my desktop but it is gone now. There was some heated discussion going on and I know Anthony McCain was one of the principle players but it seemed civil enough. Who knows why it was pulled. I have a call into Mark but I don’t know if he will get back to me or not. The only way it matters though is if it is in fact an Ivory Super Stripe right?
    Thanks,
    Albey Scholl
    Albey's Too Cool Reptiles
    Like us on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albey View Post
    I am still trying to grasp the whole same Allele thing but I know that when the news of Mark hatching it was released in a thread over on Kingsnake it caused quite a commotion. I saved the thread on my desktop but it is gone now. There was some heated discussion going on and I know Anthony McCain was one of the principle players but it seemed civil enough. Who knows why it was pulled. I have a call into Mark but I don’t know if he will get back to me or not. The only way it matters though is if it is in fact an Ivory Super Stripe right?
    I agree Albey. One would think enough SS to normal breeding will be done this season to get to the bottom of the Allele question??? I would take a 10 egg clutch from big normal girl that would give me a 5.5 Y.B.'s/Spectors!!!
    Bill Buchman

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I still think that the SS project has alot of potential as it cant be produced in numbers as its a codom thats treated like a simple res. just my 2 cents...
    Kevin Stoltz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albey View Post
    yes, as far as I know, that would break the current allele theory on the SuperStripe project... We probably wouldn't be able to tell if it was other than to breed it because there may not be anything visibly different from a regular Ivory - if such a combination exists at all. It will be useful to see what this particular animal produces, but by the time anything is produced by it, we may already have a good idea what's going on with all the Spector x Normal breedings that will hopefully occur in 2009.

I personally have a "possible spector" project that I'm working on now, and hopefully this year will prove it out. My original "possible spector" will be bred to a yellow belly male.. I was hoping to get my hands on an Ivory male, but ends up that a yellow belly male will have to do... hopefully I'll hit a cross this year... in 2007, she produced some nice spider crosses (2.0) and 2 possible spectors (1.1) plus what appears to be a regular spider and a few normals... I'm not holding my breath on this one, but I'm quite hopeful it will prove out. I believe the SuperStripes are really nice, and certainly will be popular for a LONG time... If they are harder to produce (not like a bumble bee or pewter for example), it would actually increase their value as well... Here's to hoping!!

Regards,
    Bristen.

Thanks

yes, as far as I know, that would break the current allele theory on the SuperStripe project... We probably wouldn't be able to tell if it was other than to breed it because there may not be anything visibly different from a regular Ivory - if such a combination exists at all. It will be useful to see what this particular animal produces, but by the time anything is produced by it, we may already have a good idea what's going on with all the Spector x Normal breedings that will hopefully occur in 2009.

I personally have a "possible spector" project that I'm working on now, and hopefully this year will prove it out. My original "possible spector" will be bred to a yellow belly male.. I was hoping to get my hands on an Ivory male, but ends up that a yellow belly male will have to do... hopefully I'll hit a cross this year... in 2007, she produced some nice spider crosses (2.0) and 2 possible spectors (1.1) plus what appears to be a regular spider and a few normals... I'm not holding my breath on this one, but I'm quite hopeful it will prove out. I believe the SuperStripes are really nice, and certainly will be popular for a LONG time... If they are harder to produce (not like a bumble bee or pewter for example), it would actually increase their value as well... Here's to hoping!!

Regards,
    Bristen.
    While Spectors are FAR!!!! more rare than Y.B. -- I believe they do exist in a few collections. One just has to find them!!!

Good luck on your project proving Bristen.
    Bill Buchman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Buchman View Post
    While Spectors are FAR!!!! more rare than Y.B. -- I believe they do exist in a few collections. One just has to find them!!!

Good luck on your project proving Bristen.
    Thanks Bill, no harm in trying

Thanks

just for the fun of it, if anyone reading this thread owns Spectors/Whirlwinds or has seen them, please have a peak at these pictures and let me know what you think!

Original female, possible Spector, ovulating for the 2007 clutch:

A few babies from the 2007 clutch (2 possible spider crosses, 1 spider, 1 possible spector and a normal from another clutch):

A possible Spider x Spector cross on right, with regular spider in shed from another clutch on left:

A possible spector on left after a few sheds with a normal from another clutch on right:

Thanks

Very nice snakes Bristen! Hope they prove out for ya. I really would like to get some Specter / Whirlwind blood in my collection. Maybe this year that will happen.

Thanks

i have an 07 spector female who should be ready by next year and someone else here has one close to the same size as mine. i also have an ivory male and a pastel yellowbelly as a backup both males are 08s. im pretty excited about this project and a few others i have in the works

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast