Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

0 members and 2,840 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ball python - craigslist

for a healthy ball python (normal phase nothing fancy) that is either 2 feet or bigger what is a good price someone should pay for the snake not including the heat lamps and everything else...

Keeping in mind:
    I have snake experience of about 2 -3yrs dealing with cornsnakes, ball pythons, and boas.

This person is trying to get rid of the snake asap

some people on craigslist SELL animals instead of using a rehoming a fee.

these are normal ball pythons so they arent in too much of a high demand at all. so demand shouldnt trump supply at all (by this i mean the price shouldnt be outrageously huge)

And the difference between their price and a rehoming fee is like 200 dollars or more.

And we dont have to get all technical..I would just like to know yall think is a reasonable rehoming fee someone should pay....

Thanks

Re: ball python - craigslist

For a normal run of the mill bp, I would say 25 to 50 bucks would be appropriate. Normally in this kinda case, I offer exactly what they paid (snake only) for so they dont feel cheated.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

If you like the BP and would like to add it to your collection, I'd offer the guy $70, but have a $100 in my pocket just in case you REALLY want it. I don't think I'd go higher than a Ben Franklin for a normal. The guy prolly wants to unload the snake, and you should get some good karma points for giving it a good home with the right conditions.....that alone should be worth keeping a few bucks in your pocket on the cosmic scale of justice!
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    If you like the BP and would like to add it to your collection, I'd offer the guy $70, but have a $100 in my pocket just in case you REALLY want it. I don't think I'd go higher than a Ben Franklin for a normal. The guy prolly wants to unload the snake, and you should get some good karma points for giving it a good home with the right conditions.....that alone should be worth keeping a few bucks in your pocket on the cosmic scale of justice!
    Ok thanks i see people on craigslist trying to sell normal BPs for like 200 dollars just because the snakes aren't babies any more. the way i see it is people on craigslist shouldnt be trying to recoop fees they paid when purchasing an exotic animal because most snakes are just that exotic. so when you think of exotic (well me anyway) animals and buying one you are including all the accessories it comes out to a lot.

however when you put it on craigslist if its a normal phase of the snake species you have to realize that the rehoming fee will be have to be half of what you paid for it.

Does anyone else see this my way?

Thanks

there is alot of ppl trying to use craigslist to make money!
    ive seen all sorts of stuff pulled on ppl there.
    i do look at it sometimes and my girlfriend looks at it way too much.
    usually its ppl trying to get proven breeder female prices for normal male

Thanks

The size and sex makes a slight difference IMO. When you say half of what they paid, I partially agree. If you needed a home and the accessories, half the cost would be fair for them. The snake has grown, and had to fed and maintained. If it is this years hatching, I wouldn't pay more than the owner did and half the price doesn't seem unreasonable.

Lets say you have normal female of breeding age. She would be worth more, because of the fact she could be bred with a morph and produce morphs. So the value really is determined by the sex, the size, and the type. Realize that if it was purchased from a pet store, I definitely wouldn't pay much as it is likely WC.

I would ask the person how old it is, where they bought it and some more about the snake. Watch it feed if possible, and ask if the snake has had a fecal exam from a vet. Check it over externally for mites, loose skin, scars et... The snake should flick it's tongue a lot when being held. If a home is not supplied make sure to set up the proper environment first. Check out the living conditions of this snake. Is the cage clean, does it have proper heat and a t-stat et.

I have rescued snakes before where an adoption form and fee was required. Usually in those cases an adult's adoption fee was about the same as a hatchling would cost. If you really want to rescue a snake, there is an over abundance of BP in rescue shelters. The adoption fee would be minimal, and the fee will help the shelter continue to rescue animals.

Thanks

i wouldnt pay more then $60 for the snake, $80-100 if it come with an enclosure.
    ~MIKE~

You:How many snakes do you have?
    Me: Oh, just a room full.
    You:Eh, how many?
    Me:A ROOM FULL.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Almost all BPs I see available on craigslist come with enclosures. If you're looking for normals, there's plenty of good reputable folks selling BPs too.
    Any snake is worth what YOU think it's worth. If you see one you just have to have, you might pay more. If it's "just a normal" without any real appeal, other than it's cheap, well.. then pay a minimum fee.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "