Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,971

0 members and 2,971 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Scales Comming Off

Ok so i am still kinda new to Ball Pythons and last week during Zeke's feeding she struck her rat and when she squeezed it bood came out everywhere all over her. So after she ate i put some of her hand sanitizer on a paper towell and cleaned the dried blood off her. I got her out last night and noticed that some of her scales are comming off where the blood was. I am kind of fereaking out thinking maybe i did something horribly wrong.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything to worry about.

Her humidity is between 50-70%
    Temps are 78 cool side and 86 warm side with ambient temp of 85-90

She is acting normal with the exception of scales comming off when i rub her.

Other question would be will the scales regenerate after the next shed?

Thanks

Re: Scales Comming Off

Quote Originally Posted by seadooboi View Post
    Ok so i am still kinda new to Ball Pythons and last week during Zeke's feeding she struck her rat and when she squeezed it bood came out everywhere all over her. So after she ate i put some of her hand sanitizer on a paper towell and cleaned the dried blood off her. I got her out last night and noticed that some of her scales are comming off where the blood was. I am kind of fereaking out thinking maybe i did something horribly wrong.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything to worry about.

Her humidity is between 50-70%
    Temps are 78 cool side and 86 warm side with ambient temp of 85-90

She is acting normal with the exception of scales comming off when i rub her.

Other question would be will the scales regenerate after the next shed?
    Well, first of all, I would never suggest using hand sanitizer again on a snake. Especially in an open wound, as it is meant for external HUMAN hygiene only.

Was the blood from her or the mouse? Could you tell?

Do you have any pictures that we can use to see what's going on?

Also, you need to work on upping the temperatures to 80-85 cool side and 90-95 warm side, or he will have problems digesting. :]

For your final question, it depends on the situation. Most likely yes, but if theres some sort of scale rot or reaction from the hand sanitizer it could be hard to tell, or a scar could be made from a very bad wound.
    If it's bleeding or pussing, I suggest getting him to a vet ASAP.

Thanks

Was the blood from her or the mouse? Could you tell?
    The Blood was from the mouse. The bite from the mouse never punctured Zekes skin.

Do you have any pictures that we can use to see what's going on?
    Yes I do they are very blurry tho. I cannot get her to hold still long enough to take a picture.

Also i do not know how to post them here. Although i can emai them to anyone

I would never suggest using hand sanitizer again on a snake. Especially in an open wound, as it is meant for external HUMAN hygiene only.
    I do not commonly use hand sanitizer on my snake. The hand sanitizer is there for me to use before and after handeling her to prevent cross contamination of diseases between us.

I used the hand sanitizer because the blood from the rat had already coagulated. Since i let her finish her meal before cleaning off blood and checking for bites. There is no cleaner that will get off dried blood other than alcohol or bleach. I totally did not want to use any such bleach solution to clean her much less her cage or anything to do with her.

What I did was put a dab of hand sanitizer on a piece of toilet paper and rubbed in the sanitizer and wiped the dried blood off of her.

I can tell about the scales that they seem to rub off when i am holding her. I have as a preventative measure put a little triple antibiotic ointment on the spots at the direction of her previous vet anytime there is a bite or skin abrasion.

If anyone can give me an insight to this i would appreciate it.

Thank You

Thanks

ok so i figured out how to post pictures

Ok so here are the pictures of her scales falling off. as you can see its in different places on her body

Thanks

Yowzer!! Just some water will take off dried blood!!
    I have no idea about the hand sanitizer on a snake... maybe read the ingredients and so some investigative work or call your vet and just ask the question!

Also, I second what Jess said about your temps; they are too low.

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Hydrogen perixoide will bubble dried blood off clothes, skin and hair. I have not used it on a BP, I have used warm water and a wash cloth and it works well. If I were you I would call your vet and let them know what is going on. They should be able to give you some info.