Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,825

1 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Please help me find a better rodent food supplier!!!

My local feed store keeps charging more and more for Mazuri 6F. It is now up to $23.99 for a 50 lb bag. Can anyone recomend somewhere that sells cheaper???? Please send any suggestions in Central to NE Florida or SE Georgia!

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: Please help me find a better rodent food supplier!!!

Hey Mike, you're lucky my Mazuri 6F is $26.99/50lb bag now!! I am in the search for another food now as well. I have found a hog food that looks like the same ingredients, very similiar protein/fat percentages at Tractors Supply. I know they have tons of locations in Florida, but not sure how close they are to you. Try tractorssupply.com and you can find a list of stores. I am going tomorrow and get some and try it out, I see no reason why it wouldn't work just as good as the mazuri, everything is almost identical! Oh, and this stuff is only $11.99/50lb bag, woohoo!!!
    Custom reptile and amphibian enclosures! As well as other custom wood working.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What is the name of the food? I have a local Tractor Supply. Is it big enough to sit on top of the 1/2" screen?

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

wow I get mine for 19.95 a bag.. Of course I order it 10 bags at the time so I am getting a break. Contact your local Purina Rep and see if having it shipped direct from purina to a purina dealer would be cheaper.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

We buy our Mazuri for 24.99 a 50 lb bag. It has gone up almost 3 dollars since I began to buy it a while ago, but it's leveled out now from the rising price of corn.

I haven't tried it, but Kent is supposed to carry a rodent feed that Tractor Supply can special order for you.

Their website does not show a link to it, but I have personally emailed and called Kent a year ago and was able to get a nutrition label, and from what I remember it was good. Not to mention quite a bit cheaper than Mazuri.

Something to think about, giving rat feed to rats.

Found the label for the 19%

7433 19% Rodent Diet

For rodents.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein, min..................................19.0% Salt (NaCl), min.........................................0.3%

Crude Fat, min..........................................4.6% Salt (NaCl), max.........................................0.8%

Crude Fiber, max.......................................6.5% Selenium (Se), min................................0.3 ppm

Calcium (Ca), min.....................................0.9% Vitamin A, min................................16,000 IU/lb

Calcium (Ca), max....................................1.4% Vitamin D3, min................................2,000 IU/lb

Phosphorus (P), min...............................0.65% Vitamin E, min........................................70 IU/lb
    INGREDIENT 2

Grain Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat, Cane Molasses, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Diethylprimindinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K Activity), Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Ethoxyquin and BHT (perservatives).
    FEEDING DIRECTIONS

Feed as the sole ration to rodents.

KENT FEEDS, INC.

GENERAL OFFICES - MUSCATINE, IOWA 52761

NET WEIGHT SHOWN ON BAG AND/OR INVOICE

~PC

MASTER PROOFREAD TAG
    Proofread at Printer Reviewed and Approved at Plant
    Date November 1, 2005 Date
    By Mary L. Schroeder
    By

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Something to think about, giving rat feed to rats.
    In my opinion if I went with this hog feed, I would be giving rat food to rats, just with a label that says hog feed, I am going by the ingredients not the label on the bag.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

anybody know anything about this hog feed that prototype suggested? It does appear to have the same key numbers as the Mazuri.... any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

By the way I did contact them directly and they said they do not do direct orders to florida. She claimed that if they did, the minimum order for direct buys is like 3 tons!!!!

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PrototypePythons View Post
    In my opinion if I went with this hog feed, I would be giving rat food to rats, just with a label that says hog feed, I am going by the ingredients not the label on the bag.
    I understand where you are coming from, however I do strongly believe it's good to be safe and supplement a feed intended for another animal.

If I were to choose a new brand of food to feed to my rats, I make sure to grab a complete listing of ingredients and their percentages from Harlan since I thoroughly trust their feed to be the absolute best in terms of a complete lab block, and try to follow everything as closely as possible.

I'm not condemning it at all, but it is something I feel strongly about. And not just feeding a rat some cheap old dog or hog food because Jo Blow does it and his rats are "doing just fine", but actually feeding them what they need to not only survive, but thrive under our care as we use them to produce our feeders.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, however I do strongly believe it's good to be safe and supplement a feed intended for another animal.
    Agreed, thats why I compared the ingredients closely from my Mazuri 6F feed to the feed I am referring to, and it is practically identical.

Thanks

I pay $29.99 per 50lb 6F bag...which is a bit pricey. I'm interested in the Kent product as there are tons of Kent feed stores here in Iowa and no doubt I could just goto Muscatine and pick it up. : )

I also look at rodent food as a possible basis for a customer purchase. If someone is feeding their rodents Harlan and then feeding those rodents to their snakes I might be more inclined to buy from them as opposed to someone who feeds their rodents dog food or hog feed.

Same as any business...some customers are picky (e.g. only Sony products) and some just want something with the same quality but not the name (e.g. vizio etc.).

I'd be interested to know the type of kent food recommended?

Thanks!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jdconstriction
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/jdconstriction
    Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/jdconstriction

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast