Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,531

4 members and 1,527 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Rough coats and wet bottom

I have a couple rats that seems ill, but I couldn't find any info on how to help them. Can anyone help? Thanks.

1 PEW about 3-4 months old has a rough and thin coat of hair and her whole body seems pink in color, and the eyes are smaller than normal. Is it Myco (Mycoplasma pulmonis)?

Some small rats and some mice have that wet area around their anus and genitals. Is this "wet tail"?

I can't afford the vets. Anything I can do to bring them back to health? If not, I'll have to put them down.

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Rough coats and wet bottom

Could be any number of things from poor diet, poor housing, too crowded, internal/external parasites, poor breeding.

I would take a fecal sample to the vet and get it analyzed for internal parasites. Treat all of the rats and mice with a good dewormer, clean the cages and then re-treat.

Make sure they are NOT crowded, make sure the bedding is not dusty, switch to aspen or sani-chips, NO PINE or CEDAR. Make sure they have plenty of fresh water and a good diet. No grocery store dog food as their only food. They need a good lab block such as Mazuri 6f or 9f, or Harlan Teklad. You can always supplement with a cereal mix like the one I've written up as a sticky.

To help diarrhea, give them plain yogurt, or vanilla(no high fructose corn syrup added). Most fruits and some veggies give them diarrhea. Oatmeal helps too.

If you're not willing to get them dewormed or put on antibiotics if need be, then please euthanize them all and just buy frozen. They are living creatures and need to be treated as such. Crappy prey items equals crappy snake growth.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SatanicIntention For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (01-12-2009)

Thanks

Re: Rough coats and wet bottom

Thanks Becky. Sorry for the late reply.

I live in Hong Kong and supplies are much different, or I may say much LACK!

No one keeps rats of mice as pets so no feed available. I ordered one bag of 50lb Mazuri 6F from the local mazuri dealer, it will get here before summer, hopefully. and it cost US$80!!!!!!!!

Those of us who breed rodents for snake food use mainly poultry feed and dog food. I've heard that too much meat is not good for them so only a about 5-10% dog food.

I've given some vege before the wet bottom happened, I think that might be it. They seem fine now.

The one with the rough coat is my concern, she seems fine with eating and alertness, etc. Just the appearance looks funny. Would vitamin help?

Thanks