Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,022

1 members and 3,021 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG Rattlesnake

Thanks
    Blog Entries

BIG Rattlesnake

This Timber Rattler was killed in Burgaw, NC, about 20 miles from Wilmington and 45 miles from my house. We grow everything bigger in Fat Boy country!!! Reported as 9ft, 90lbs. I question the 90lbs.
    Last edited by FatBoy; 10-23-2008 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks

Re: BIG Rattlesnake

This is wrong on so many levels...

That not a timber rattlesnake, It is a diamondback. IF it is from the east it would be an eastern diamondback (Crotalus adamanteus) but in my honest opinion it looks like a western (Crotalus atrox). Adamnteus are usually much darker.

No doubt, it is a huge rattler but it is not 9 ft. The snake is 3-4 ft closer to the camera than the man holding it depending on what kind of tong he is using. And it is definitely not 90 lb! try holding anything that heavy 3 ft out from your body. The momentum would be huge...

I keep rattlesnakes and my atrox that is just shy of 6 ft. He is very well fed (I feed him a 3 lb rabbit a week) and weighs just about 15 lb. I would say that he is heavier than they are in the wild.

Lastly; The "the only good snake is a dead snake" mentality is pissing me off. The more ignorant people I get to know the more I like rattlesnakes.

Peace out

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomSundin For This Useful Post:

anendeloflorien (10-23-2008),mooingtricycle (10-23-2008)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TomSundin View Post

That not a timber rattlesnake, It is a diamondback. IF it is from the east it would be an eastern diamondback (Crotalus adamanteus) but in my honest opinion it looks like a western (Crotalus atrox). Adamnteus are usually much darker.

No doubt, it is a huge rattler but it is not 9 ft. The snake is 3-4 ft closer to the camera than the man holding it depending on what kind of tong he is using. And it is definitely not 90 lb! try holding anything that heavy 3 ft out from your body. The momentum would be huge...

I keep rattlesnakes and my atrox that is just shy of 6 ft. He is very well fed (I feed him a 3 lb rabbit a week) and weighs just about 15 lb. I would say that he is heavier than they are in the wild.

Lastly; The "the only good snake is a dead snake" mentality is pissing me off. The more ignorant people I get to know the more I like rattlesnakes.

Peace out
    WOW! Didn't mean to piss you off, I didn't take the pic, just sharing a pic from our local media that I found interesting. Not really into hot snakes so just trusted it was a timber by the media coverage. you know how they can screw things up. I share your feeling about the "only good snake" mentality. I love herps and never endorse killing any reptiles. Just thought it was a pretty big snake and wanted to share the pic.

Thanks

I didn't mean to come of rude. I am not "pissed off" at you...

This entire situation about people killing snakes and the ignorant media pisses me off.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Glad I didn't post the article that went with the photo. It actually said in the article that if you see a snake like this to make sure you kill it before it kills you!! You are right about some people being ignorant.

Thanks

You know someone showed me that article several months ago. I wish I'd have kept it because they did list it as a Diamond Back but I don't remember the other details. I'm sure it was embellished because I was pretty amazed by it.
    Laurie

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Huh...The article was sent to me by a friend through an email. Was listed as an article from the Star News recently. Probally just an email circulating and edited to make it look like a current article. If it is an old pic and not current then it fooled me. I am going to the papers website to see if I can find it. Still my first time seeing the pic and still looks like a pretty big snake.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Must be an early "trick or treat" on the ol' Fat Boy. Looked at the paper's website and found nothing. Just an email circulating edited to look like current local news. Sorry for any confussion.

Thanks

Fat Boy, it's still worthy of posting! That is one big "Bleeping" snake and I wouldn't want to accidentally stumble across it.
    Laurie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomSundin View Post

Peace out
    I agree with everything in your post here, however, I believe the word you're looking for is "Leverage" not momentum. It is clear what you were trying to say though.

PS. Pic is gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast