Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,120

2 members and 3,118 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Sulfur = Fire

Thanks

Re: Sulfur = Fire

Quote Originally Posted by EmberBall View Post
    Fools?

I asked you what you thought of a snake. A snake that everyone was telling me looked like a Fire. You are the Fire guy, so I emailed you. That makes me a fool. You are a joke.

Forget what I said, don't email me, I have nothing to say to you. You have shown your true colors man, and YOU have backed up everything that people have said about you...funny how that works.

Dave

Quite right Dave, I have a reputation to live up to!
    I am a miserable,old git whose legs don't work, have a ****ey heart, plastic arteries, failing kidneys and a shot back - and you think I am in the least bothered what people 'think' about me??? Go play with your balls!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

So do I understand right that the ember female produced babies that also have the ember look from that original hypo cross? Were there also some normal looking babies?

I did get to see a young adult fire at the Denver show in August and was blown away by how nice he looked so I definitely see the potential and will get one of the lines eventually. A guy near me has a flame hypo but I think it's a female if I remember right so he probably will not have lots of them any time soon.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Randy, shoot me an email, and I will see if I can get you some Ember pics. I have a newer computer, and sometimes have a hard time sending old pics.

The Ember babies are nicer than the Sulfur babies, as far as uncrossed animals. The 05 Embers are still MUCH more yellow than any Sulfur or Fire that I have seen.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Ok guys this is getting a lot less family friendly than we like around here - if you want to call each other names and such then please do it via the PM system.

Any further name calling etc in the thread will be infracted - fair warning.

It would be a shame to lose any pertinent information from your posts because other parts of them breach the T.O.S.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Here is a pic of a female Fire that I produced this season and her father.
    Enjoy,
    Kevin Stoltz
    www.kmsreptiles.com
    female

Sire

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Ok guys this is getting a lot less family friendly than we like around here - if you want to call each other names and such then please do it via the PM system.

Any further name calling etc in the thread will be infracted - fair warning.

It would be a shame to lose any pertinent information from your posts because other parts of them breach the T.O.S.

dr del

Derek, you are quite right and I appologise for my comments. I am often quoted as having said this and that when the opposite is often the case.
    People who 'really' kow me, know that I am not the person portrayed, and will help any-one who asks for or needs help.
    Once again, please accept my appologies for my publlic outburst.
    Eric Davies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    Derek, you are quite right and I appologise for my comments. I am often quoted as having said this and that when the opposite is often the case.
    People who 'really' kow me, know that I am not the person portrayed, and will help any-one who asks for or needs help.
    Once again, please accept my appologies for my publlic outburst.
    Eric Davies

Takes a honerable man to apologise . well done herpquest .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Buchman View Post
    However, I STRONGLY believe that more/different morph names is BETTER than lumping even remotely similar animals with NO GENETIC ties TOGETHER. Separation of lineage is BETTER. Allowing the viewing/buying public to decide which morphs they wish to support, and applaud -- is BETTER.

Differentiation, for lack of a better word, is GOOD. Differentiation is right. Differentiation works. Differentiation clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of proving and NAMING ball python morphs!!! Viva the DIFFERENCE!!!
    I will have to say that i disagree with you mate . I think there are possibly too many names for morphs of which many might indeed be the very same morph . I would prefer to use a specific bloodline of a certain morph rather than a new name all together(even if it does point in someway to the original) . Say for example the albino boas have their lines names after the khal strain and the Sharp strain . So if these sulphur and ember and Fire are bred together and proven to be compatible then i would for one be happy to call them what they would be (Fires) and simply differentiate the lines by their owners or founders or even a specific breeders name . This way they can still be differentiated easily but it means we are all calling an 'apple' an apple if you get what i mean. Does anyone have fires and sulphurs that is willing to try the cross out ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slangman View Post
    Takes a honerable man to apologise . well done herpquest .

I will have to say that i disagree with you mate . I think there are possibly too many names for morphs of which many might indeed be the very same morph . I would prefer to use a specific bloodline of a certain morph rather than a new name all together(even if it does point in someway to the original) . Say for example the albino boas have their lines names after the khal strain and the Sharp strain . So if these sulphur and ember and Fire are bred together and proven to be compatible then i would for one be happy to call them what they would be (Fires) and simply differentiate the lines by their owners or founders or even a specific breeders name . This way they can still be differentiated easily but it means we are all calling an 'apple' an apple if you get what i mean. Does anyone have fires and sulphurs that is willing to try the cross out ?

Your position is a valid and arguable. However, I would submit that the heat which has been generated by the Fire/Sulfer conflict is a perfect example of why more is better.

Do we think that Mr. Davies is going to position himself to purport the Fire and Sulfer as the same morph -- I highly doubt it -- and I would SUPPORT his position.

I hesitate to discuss anyone elses project, so I'll use one of mine as an example. I proved an animal which I named Het Cajun. If I were to group it with an existing morph, the Het Red, Lori Ball, Black Lace are the 3 that come to mind -- there may be more. The captive hatched foundation female that produced for me last season has NO connection to the similar morphs mentioned.

Let's say also, for argument's sake, that my Het Cajun is a prettier base morph, makes a better super, and is FAR better in combos. Or the reverse all of that -- say any one of the others is clearly the best in all those important areas. Why would the breeder with the 'better" animal want to be linked in name with the others?

I believe, based on what I have observed, most ball python people don't seem to expend the energy needed when paying attention to lines of the same morph -- at least to the extent required to address the differentiation issue at hand.

More names makes sense because it is EASIER for most people in the hobby. I don't feel that compatibility necessarily makes morphs the same -- it just makes them compatible. But I could be mistaken...
    Bill Buchman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Buchman View Post
    Your position is a valid and arguable. However, I would submit that the heat which has been generated by the Fire/Sulfer conflict is a perfect example of why more is better.

Do we think that Mr. Davies is going to position himself to purport the Fire and Sulfer as the same morph -- I highly doubt it -- and I would SUPPORT his position.

I hesitate to discuss anyone elses project, so I'll use one of mine as an example. I proved an animal which I named Het Cajun. If I were to group it with an existing morph, the Het Red, Lori Ball, Black Lace are the 3 that come to mind -- there may be more. The captive hatched foundation female that produced for me last season has NO connection to the similar morphs mentioned.

Let's say also, for argument's sake, that my Het Cajun is a prettier base morph, makes a better super, and is FAR better in combos. Or the reverse all of that -- say any one of the others is clearly the best in all those important areas. Why would the breeder with the 'better" animal want to be linked in name with the others?

I believe, based on what I have observed, most ball python people don't seem to expend the energy needed when paying attention to lines of the same morph -- at least to the extent required to address the differentiation issue at hand.

More names makes sense because it is EASIER for most people in the hobby. I don't feel that compatibility necessarily makes morphs the same -- it just makes them compatible. But I could be mistaken...
    I am with Bill on this one. Slightly different looking animals that may or may not be the same from completely different origins should have different names. On the other hand I am getting tired of all of the combo morph names. Why can’t a Pastel Fire just be called a Pastel Fire instead of a Fire Fly?
    Thanks,
    Albey Scholl
    Albey's Too Cool Reptiles
    Like us on Facebook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Albey For This Useful Post:

KMS (11-28-2008)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I agree about all the names for the double morphs, I honestly do not know a tenth of them, and do not know half of the double morphs listed in ads. I would vote for Pastel Fire, and Pastel Sulfur...

In his emails to me, Eric S. calls a Sulfur Mojave a SuMo, and I kind of like that. It just shortens up the name a bit. I think the Sulfur Pastel could be called the SuPa, pronounced like Super, with a strong accent of some sort. Going with the Bumble Bee theme, Eric said the Sulfur Spider Pastel should be called the Stinky Bee, which I thought was funny as did my wife. These are all tongue in cheek, but somewhat known to a few people that have Sulfurs.

My opinion, people just WANT to be the one to name something.

I went up to the LA auto show today, and on the way, did some thinking about something. Any CH or new line of Het Black Eyed Lucy that comes in from Africa, will either be called something new, or in all probability, a Fire. I have to admit, I am not sure how I would react to someone bringing in a new line of Het Black Eyed Lucy, from Africa, and calling it a Sulfur. It really would not "be" a Sulfur, would it? To me, a Sulfur is a direct descendant of my big female. Second thing, when it does get done, Sulfur x Fire, what will the offspring be called? I would guess the default line, or if one is not sure, the name Fire would be used. To me, this keeps the Sulfur kind of exclusive. Not trying to make a big deal about it, but there might be 10 lines of Fire one day, and probably only one line of Sulfur. I have no problem with that.

Dave

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast