Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,112

1 members and 3,111 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Smile GTP caging questions

Hi,

So I'm pretty much set on what I'm saving my money for: I want to buy the whole caging system here in the U.S., then take it to Europe when I move next summer, and then buy a GTP there.

First question:

Can GTPs be housed together in a large enough cage? I know it's a no-no with BPs, but how about these guys? If so, how large should the cage be?

Second question:

What do you all think of those arboreal cages? i.e., taller than wide. Animal Plastics have a 36Hx24Wx24D cage, which I think would be really cool. And I'm sure that with a radiant heat panel I can get absolute perfect temperatures in there.

Thanks, all ye Morelia folks,
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

Re: GTP caging questions

I wouldn't house together. It requires a HUGE enclosure. These guys like depth over height (respectively). a 24h 24d and 36L Is ideal of them IMO.

Thanks

David, I've thought about a 36Lx24Dx24H, but what about a 36" tall one, with a 24"x24" base?
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

It's a bit too tall and narrow for my taste. When they cage cruise it's out, not up. IMO, longer is better. Let's give some time for other Viridis keepers to chime in with opinions. Maybe Brandon will give us his 0.02.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidG For This Useful Post:

DSGB (04-01-2009)

Thanks

Yeah, thanks David. I can probably get AP to get me a 36Hx24Dx36W... although this'll be expensive. But it'll look nice
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

Thanks

ID go with a 36Lx24x24, You are able to get a better range of heat for your chondro.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
    I wouldn't house together. It requires a HUGE enclosure. These guys like depth over height (respectively). a 24h 24d and 36L Is ideal of them IMO.
    david is exactly right. maxwell uses these sized cages for all of his adults. that is going to be a big bill to ship the cage over there. you might want to check around which ever country you will be living in and see if there are cage makers there. the euro cages are really cool looking IMO!!

Thanks

Alright, I'm pretty much sold on another 3x2x2 cage

And as for shipping, I want to take it with the sea freight, so it's not going to cost more.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Alright, I'm pretty much sold on another 3x2x2 cage

And as for shipping, I want to take it with the sea freight, so it's not going to cost more.
    I've tried several different setups over the years. My first was 24w X 16d X 48t melamine. I had great success with it, but rarely observed adults moving to lower perches. The only time this happened was with gravid females.

My second set was 24w X 24t X 16d melamine. Again, I had great success with these and actually bred more animals in these than with any other cage I've used. I have always heated with lightbulbs and have never had a problem. The animals have direct contact with the lights if they want, but I have never had an injury because I choose my wattage wisely.

My next set were 20" pvc cubes. These are ok, but do not offer substantial insulation in cooler rooms. Again, I kept the largest of the large chondros in these with equal success. They do the job as long as you can tweek the entire room, which can sometimes cause problems during breeding season.

My latest series are 30x20x20 and 40x20x20 melamine. In my opinion, the 30x20x20 is the perfect size for even the largest adults. I built my 40s because my 20 cubes stack perfectly on top, side by side. I honestly think they are overkill and are so far the most difficult to tweek as far as humidity. I would even go as far to say a 24" cube would be the perfect overall size for adult chondros.

I've also used glass aquariums with modified lids for years. To say aquariums will not work is totally false. Two of the most successful breeders in the world use glass aquariums. If you take the time to make them work, you should have no problems.

It's an age old debate and nothing is stone. Do what works for you and more importantly your animals. They are what should be comfortable.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandon Osborne For This Useful Post:

DutchHerp (04-02-2009)

Thanks

I think with anything over 24 inches tall you loose the ability to have a good floor to ceiling gradient. admittedly I have only use radiant heat panels in this scenario. With the right sized radiant panel at 24 inches of height I have always had a very steady even vertical and horizontal gradient. Not really sure that helps but just what I have experienced.

Chuck