Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 607

1 members and 606 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

keeping reptiles in apartments.. illegal?

i have been recently told that in california most likely san diego county specifically it is quite possibly illegal to keep any type of reptile in community housing. i dont see how this is a viable possibility and i think it may just be my apartment manager not liking reptiles and trying to fluff us with BS to keep her own little mind at ease or even more possibly a misunderstanding of the laws because i know it is illegal to keep hots in SD county within city limits if im not mistaken but does anyone know if there is any truth to this statement that there is a ordinance or law or somewhere i can get the info from stating that you cannot keep reptiles in an apartment complex in california or san Diego County more specifically? htanks for any and all help and advice on this matter

Athen
    my home page is
    http://www.vivariumforum.com/community/
    0.0.1 Sceloporus serrifer 0.0.1 Red x Orange baby Pogona vitticeps 0.0.1 Physignathus cocincinus 0.0.1 Lampropeltis getula splendida 1.1.0 Python regius 1.1.0 cat 1.0.0 Boxer 0.1.0 mouse 0.1.0 mini lop eared bunny 0.1.0 teddy bear hamster 0.0.5 brand new baby mice!

Thanks

Re: keeping reptiles in apartments.. illegal?

You'd likely be best to contact your local government for laws directly affecting where you live. However, whether or not it's an actual law on the books, apartment complexes often can write pretty much what they want in their lease as far as a pet policy (check your own lease for your pet policy).

One of our local apartment complexes here for instance will allow dogs, quite large, noisy, poop making dogs but you can't own a single reptile of any sort and rent from them. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but it surely means I'd never rent from them.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

ok my lease doesnt specifically state anything pertaining to reptiles it does state that we arent allowed to keep dogs of any kind and can have cats if we pay $500 deposit per cat then caged rodents arent mentioned either.
    my home page is
    0.0.1 Sceloporus serrifer 0.0.1 Red x Orange baby Pogona vitticeps 0.0.1 Physignathus cocincinus 0.0.1 Lampropeltis getula splendida 1.1.0 Python regius 1.1.0 cat 1.0.0 Boxer 0.1.0 mouse 0.1.0 mini lop eared bunny 0.1.0 teddy bear hamster 0.0.5 brand new baby mice!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Athen View Post
    ok my lease doesnt specifically state anything pertaining to reptiles it does state that we arent allowed to keep dogs of any kind and can have cats if we pay $500 deposit per cat then caged rodents arent mentioned either.
    If your lease doesn't say anything against caged reptiles then you should be free to bring them in

Thanks

I used to rent an apartment that didn't allow pets. I asked, "Are you just woriied about the carpets? What about something like a fishtank?". Since I was told a fish tank would be fine, I "assumed" that meant that I could have an aquarium with a gecko. By the time I moved, I had a chameleon, tree frogs, balls, a macklott's python and was breeding several geckos and corn snakes there. If I ever got in trouble for it, it would have been a simple misunderstanding of their policies. They eventually had to come in and saw some of my display animals, but they didn't get mad. The carpets were still spotless. But all that depends on where you live and what kind of person the land lord seems to be.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

BPnet Veteran Kesslers Kreatures's Avatar
    Thanks

Im in california and i have all my animals in my apartment. My complex manager loves em, the maintanence guys too. We asked before we moved in how they felt about caged animals and they didnt mind just no cats or dogs. which is fine with me since i dont have either.
    Lewie

0.1 Girlfriend
    5.13 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boas

Thanks

I'm in Michigan but my apartment complex states "No fur bearing animals" which is absolutely perfect for reptiles. Now I have Furio the fat sleepy ball python and Isabella the princess of bearded dragons. The complex manager loves them both. I think it varies from place to place.

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

ok thanks everyone for their stories and help i and some of my friends who hapen to be my neighbors and reptile lovers as well have read the ease and it doesnt state anything about reptiles so im now going to call the humane society and see what they have to say regarding that "law" and see if they can direct me towards something in black and white so that if my manager does try to tell me i have to get rid of them i have ammunition, i know it will result in a change of the lease terms but im sure that will take a while to be put into place and there should be a grandfather
    my home page is

Thanks

I looked at your city code.
    This was the only thing that I could fine pertaining to exotics.

Sec. 4.6.1. Exotic animals.
    (a) "Exotic animal" is defined as any animal which is not normally domesticated in the United States including, but not limited to, any lion, tiger, bear, nonhuman primate (monkey, chimpanzee, etc.), wolf, cougar, ocelot, wildcat, skunk, boa, python, or venomous snake, irrespective of its actual or asserted state of docility, tameness or domesticity.
    (b) No one may maintain, display or possess any exotic animal that creates a public disturbance or is a danger to public health and safety as determined by a state humane officer.
    (c) Subsection (b) of this section shall not apply to legally operated zoos or circuses unless the state humane officer shall give twenty-four (24) hours' advance notice that, by reason of inadequate caging or sanitation measures or by a particular hazard connected with the animal or animals involved, the public health and welfare will be endangered, nor shall it apply to birds, small rodents, or small nonpoisonous reptiles commonly owned as pets.
    (Ord. No. 86-15, § 1.A.2, 5-28-86)

http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...id=10130&sid=5
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Athen View Post
    My has limits on dogs and cats but no mention of reptiles... so I assume they are okay until I see something that says I can't have them...
    -Stacey

1.0 Ball Python... Stanley (gotta start somewhere..)
    0.3 Mice .... Maui, Mango and Mai Tai, aka Satan's spawn
    1.0 Bunny Rabbit... William, aka Bill the Bunny, aka Bill-Bo

"Honos Habet Onus"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast