Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,869

1 members and 2,868 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Respiratory Infections in Rats

these are pretty much my "test" rats
    Well you are failing the test

Breeding your own feeders mean having the opportunity to provide the BEST quality food possible for your snakes.

You are breeding sick animals, so tell me what kind of quality do you provide for your snakes?

For me rats and mice are breeders and feeders, however I make sure that they are healthy and properly cared for, why? Because in the end they end-up in my snakes belly so quality and health is important!

If you want the best for your snakes you need to start by respecting the preys.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I don't care if my rats are for breeding feeders. Some of my breeders are my pets and I love them dearly. They get great care and always have access to vet care if needed. Take for instance, Chance. Chance was a feeder turned breeder because my ball python refused her and she grew too large to be fed off. I have no emotional attachment to the rat and wouldn't mind feeding it off to a larger snake.

However! That rat developed pneumonia and off to the vet it went. $70 for the bill. That rat cost me around $3-4, and it probably would have been easier to CO2 the rat and get a new breeder, but no, I care about the health of my breeders and no rat in my colony will ever be without vet care.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Well you are failing the test

Breeding your own feeders mean having the opportunity to provide the BEST quality food possible for your snakes.

You are breeding sick animals, so tell me what kind of quality do you provide for your snakes?

For me rats and mice are breeders and feeders, however I make sure that they are healthy and properly cared for, why? Because in the end they end-up in my snakes belly so quality and health is important!

If you want the best for your snakes you need to start by respecting the preys.
    because snakes dont eat sick animals in the wild right? talk to any biologist, outdoorsman, etc and they will tell you that predators target the young, old, and sick. im not saying one should strive to imitate that, but im sure a rat that is sneezing isnt going to hurt a snake. they are all eating and drinking well, look very healthy, and are full of energy so it cant be that bad.

lol i didnt think people would be so offended by a rat that is sneezing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ch312 View Post
    because snakes dont eat sick animals in the wild right? talk to any biologist, outdoorsman, etc and they will tell you that predators target the young, old, and sick. im not saying one should strive to imitate that, but im sure a rat that is sneezing isnt going to hurt a snake. they are all eating and drinking well, look very healthy, and are full of energy so it cant be that bad.

You are so missing the point!

Of course in the wild they eat whatever is available, this is not the wild and YOU have the opportunity to provide them with high quality feeders, but YOU chose not too.

I could buy feeders from a local place yet I chose not to, why? Because I had the opportunity to visit their place and this is in no way the kind of feeders I want to provide to my snakes.

You are failing at breeding and I can guaranty that you will have a hard time maintaining a healthy colony with that type of thinking.

Hopefully you will not breed snakes in the future because I can see how this would be going.

Anyway to each their own.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Exactly. So what is the basis for the survival of the fittest?

If snakes are eating the ill ones, slow ones, ones hurt by disease or hunger or injury, what purpose does it serve besides the feeding of the snake?

It helps prolong the best genes in the species!
    Don't you want the best in your colony?

I can understand where your coming from, the snake doesn't care how healthy the rat is he just wants to eat, but you should.

Providing a higher quality food source, full of an abundance of proteins, minerals and vitamins will benefit your snake more than Joe shmoe's who buys from the local feed store's undernourished rats.

Just like dogs or cats, we want to provide the best food to give the best quality of life and health to our animals.

You are what you eat!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Of course in the wild they eat whatever is available, this is not the wild and YOU have the opportunity to provide them with high quality feeders, but YOU chose not too.

You are failing at breeding and I can guaranty that you will have a hard time maintaining a healthy colony with that type of thinking.

Hopefully you will not breed snakes in the future because I can see how this would be going.
    1)i get all of my adult mice (sometimes small rats) from a breeder who has been doing it for over 5 years. my snake hasnt even seen this sick rat before...

2)the ONE rat with the problem just came into estrus for her first time last week. how can i fail at breeding when i just started if this rat gets any worse ill just get rid of it.

3)how would it be going with breeding snakes all mighty one? did you not read my post about me not caring if these rats breed or not and i would buy breeders from an established breeder in the future? why would i waste money on breeding rats before i knew if i liked doing it or not?

its funny how you automatically assume i have some breeding operation going where i am breeding all kinds of sick rats

how about ask questions before ASSuming something?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Don't you want the best in your colony?
    yes, of course. when i get serious about it

i have 13 adult mice and 3 rats my ONE snake could eat so it wont phase me at all to get rid of a few sick animals.

Thanks

If the sick rat JUST went into heat for the FIRST time in her life, then she's 5-6 weeks old. Why is she being bred at this age??

Read up on rat anatomy, and then maybe try breeding them. Healthy rats produce health offspring. Sick rats do not and will likely die if you try to breed them.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

3)how would it be going with breeding snakes all mighty one? did you not read my post about me not caring if these rats breed or not and i would buy breeders from an established breeder in the future?why would i waste money on breeding rats before i knew if i liked doing it or not?
    Then why do you have the females in with the male right now?

Are you trying to breed or not, you are dancing around this saying something like "I'm not serious... I just want her to get pregnant, so I bought 3 more females, hopefully they take soon."

Are you actually trying to breed now or not?

If your experimenting, your most likely not going to like the results from breeding a young sick rat. She may only have a small litter now, if any. She may eat them because she can not care for them.

So exactly why are you breeding them now? You either are or you aren't.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

its funny how you automatically assume i have some breeding operation going where i am breeding all kinds of sick rats
    I am not assuming nor did I say you had an operation going.

Those are not assumptions, those are your words
    i have a homemade cage in our bedroom for our 2 pet rats. they have been sneezing for over a month now
    That is not called healthy!
    the male tried to breed her a week ago and was trying to breed her again last night
    That's called breeding!

Breeding sick animals whether it 2 or 200 is all the same!
    Deborah Stewart

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast