Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 684

1 members and 683 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Where do Petco stores get their reptiles?

If that's the case then I can't say much for his animals.
    If that's the case then he's probably the type that cares more about the dollar than the animal. Think about the amount of care that would have to go in to keeping track of that many animals. Imagine what just the bare minimum must be, then imagine what it would be like trying to keep them all in tip top shape. It's not humanly possible. No one would deal with animals in those quantities unless they're more interested in making a buck than producing quality animals. So in all honesty, I doubt he even cares what you have to say for his animals. Which is a damn shame.

I can't believe they're going to be carrying albinos now. I guess it makes sense that they would want to have something a little more exciting than normals available. I doubt they'll carry anything more exotic than that, though. I worked at Petsmart for 2 years then got the heck outta there, but it was long enough to know how they function.

Thanks

I wonder what price point they expect to sell the albinos at. I can't see petco or petsmart selling a snake for more than $199.99.......
    -Brad

Thanks

I know these for sure: Segrest Farms, Sandfire, Calzoo. I'm sure the others that people listed are correct as well.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jnjreptiles View Post
    In the next year or 2 albino balls will be in Petco, that is already set in stone, upc code and everything already done, now just a little more production #'s.
    That's interesting. I know PetSmart is already selling pastel ball pythons. Only a matter of time before pieds start being sold at the large chains...
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis View Post
    I wonder what price point they expect to sell the albinos at. I can't see petco or petsmart selling a snake for more than $199.99.......
    Oh I sure as heck can, considering that they sell ALL their reptiles at prices at least double what they are worth. My 'favorites' are a Juvie BlueTongue Skink for $200 and a single Anole for $5 or $6. SIGH. They are ONLY interested in making the buck...
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Oh I sure as heck can, considering that they sell ALL their reptiles at prices at least double what they are worth. My 'favorites' are a Juvie BlueTongue Skink for $200 and a single Anole for $5 or $6. SIGH. They are ONLY interested in making the buck...
    I realize that they overprice the reptiles that they do have, but you've got to consider that generally speaking, people have a certain cap on what they'd spend on a pet regardless of what its actually worth.

While people may spend hundreds if not thousands on a dog, snakes aren't viewed by the type of people the shop at petsmart/petco as the type of animal to spend that kind of money on. I'd guess that 75% or more of the people going in there are spending money on their dogs.

I could be "out of the know," but I'm not convinced that the price or supply of albino ball pythons will be at the levels appropriate for mass retail in 1-2 years...to sell at petco/petsmart, we're talking hundreds to many thousands of individual animals....if anyone else has anything concrete to share contrary to that, be all means go ahead...
    -Brad

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Petco right now has about 900 stores.

They buy from major importers and a few large breeders as has been mentioned but those importers and breeders also fill out their orders with animals from small time breeders.

I can't recall the name of the cricket company that owns the iguana farms in costa rica, but they import thousands of baby iguanas every year. The guy also has a partner who produces thousands of beardies and leopard geckos too. He used to own reptileforums.com, howard something or other.

It would only take about 400-500 albino female balls to produce 1800-2000 babies a year @ 5 babies per female. Very doable for some breeders.

If you can sell 2000 babies at 150.00 each, that's 30,000.00.

I'm sure someone out there is willing to do that.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

I think the number of ready breeder females a person would need to be way more than that.

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of breeders out there are lucky if they get 75% of their females to produce every year.

So make it 600 breeder sized homozygous albino females ready to go. I think that the number of 3+ year old albino females even in existence might be only 3-4x that, much less have those kind of numbers present in one person's operation.

I'm not saying that it will never happen, just 1-2 years like JnJ said, I'm skeptical about that...but who knows...maybe someone out there has been buying up females for 10 years and is poised and ready to go as soon as the market is ready for them....
    -Brad

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Petco right now has about 900 stores.

I can't recall the name of the cricket company that owns the iguana farms in costa rica, but they import thousands of baby iguanas every year. The guy also has a partner who produces thousands of beardies and leopard geckos too. He used to own reptileforums.com, howard something or other.

I believe you are thinking of Flukers Farms.
    They have the Iguana farms, and the beardies they sold used to come with a blue or green? dot on the base of the tail, as a way of marking the ones from that particular breeders production. I think he was "farming" them in Florida outside in large pens.

As far as price, they will be high priced on the albino balls, but they look at it as, if someone is going to pay $2k for a bird why not a "pretty" snake?
    Thanks, Outback Reptiles
    josh@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262 Office
    703-789-1697 Cell

Thanks

It's easy for Petco to "overprice" ball pythons. Anyone into herps knows not to go there for them. They would seek out a breeder. People that are not into herps don't know about breeders and/or how to contact them. Petco sells to the average person who, as we all know, generally is very uninformed about reptiles. I would buy a normal from Petco for $75 if I didn't know I could get a much healthier one for way cheaper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast