Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,897

3 members and 2,894 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Why is everyone I know so ignorant?

Gah! I'm sooooo pissed right now. I just got off the phone with my dad, and he won't let me keep a snake at his house. My buddy has a red tail boa that he has no clue how to take care of, and doesn'y really care anymore. I went over to his apartment for the first time a few days ago, and I saw the snake in a 40gal, with no substrate, no hides, and no uth. The only things he has in the tank are a waterbowl, a fake vine which the boa usually hides in, and an overhead lamp (not big enough to heat the tank). Even for all this, the snake looked good, and was very calm when I handled it, and took it outside for some sun. I fell in love with her, so he said he'd give her to me, if I bought the tank and everything from him for 75$. So now here's the deal. I've lived with my grandma for the last 6 months, ever since I moved home from school. My grandpa died a few years ago, so it's nice for her having someone around. Also, I save about a grand a month not having to pay rent or utilities. But, of course she is petrified of snakes, so I ask my dad if I can keep the snake at his house. Not even in his house, just in the garage. He says no outright, without even hearing me out. Then tells me to give him a few days to think about it. He calls this morning and says no! He's afraid the snake will get out and the neighbors will call the cops, or it will hurt his dog or something stupid like that. It's a juvi boa, I would probably only be keeping her there until I moved back out in 9 months or so, so that's impossible. I'd be more afraid of the dog killing her, though I think she would be too scared to get close. And the neighbors calling the cops is just stupid. It's not like keeping a boa is illegal! Plus, I would never ever let her escape, I know what I'm doing. And I go over there every day to feed and walk his dog, since he is out of town till june. It just gets me soooooo upset how dumb people can be about snakes!!!!!!!!!!!

/rant
    1.0 Black Milk - Apophis (Apep)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa - Renenutet (Rene)
    0.1 MR2s - '88 OPM - Celia

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Why is everyone I know so ignorant?

I moved out of my parents house when I was 17 years old. I had to work full time, and hold a second job to make ends meet. And I could never afford to go to college. It's been a rough road, but I made it. And NO ONE has ever told me what I can or cannot do. A fair trade-off if you ask me. Your day will come.

Thanks

As tough as it sounds, it's their house, and you may just have to give the snake to another reptile enthusiast friend to "hold" for you while you get your own place, or give it away completely.

I wasn't allowed any snakes while I lived at my parents, but I moved out at 18 and haven't looked back since.

Thanks

yea, these things happen. believe it or not, educated herp enthusiasts are still the minority out there (who knew, right? ). my girlfriend can't stand mine, grandma is deathly afraid, and every other person that visits my house is freaked out by it. hopefully you can convince your dad otherwise, or at least find another good home for her until you can have her again.

Thanks

Dude, I feel your pain. All I ever wanted my whole life was a pet snake, but just like you, my Dad is deathly afraid of them. He would not allow one in the house. I had to wait until I was 22 and moved out of his house to get one. And I didn't even care if the snake I got was a big one. A garter snake would have satisfied me. Hopefully your situation will turn out better than mine

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Regardless of the reasons why your Dad does not wish a snake in his house, this is HIS house, HIS rules and you have to respect that.

Just like the day you will have YOUR house you will have YOUR rules.

Trust me been there done dad, the most important is to respect his wish, if you want a snake now, you still will in couple of years and there will be other opportunities available as well.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Ya, I was working 55 hours a week before to pay rent and everything, and going to school full time. So I know what you mean. Plus, I know my grandma would really miss me. I don't mind her being anti-boa so much, cause she just worries about everything in general. But with my friend and my dad? My sister gets my mom to spend 3500 dollars on a pomeranian-chihuaha puppy, but if I want to keep a juvi boa in a locked tank in the locked garage somehow I'm the crazy one? I know I have it well with my living situation right now, my rant was more about how ignorant people can be about snakes, even after I spend an hour reciting to them all the facts!
    1.0 Black Milk - Apophis (Apep)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa - Renenutet (Rene)
    0.1 MR2s - '88 OPM - Celia

Thanks

They spent $3500 on a mixed breed dog they could have found in a shelter for $80? NICE!
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    They spent $3500 on a mixed breed dog they could have found in a shelter for $80? NICE!
    Oh Becky, you didn't hear that was the new thing? Pedigreed "designer dogs" They even made a book about it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    yea, i got some ocean front property in arizona i wanna sell them too!
    everything will work out man, i went through the same stuff when i lived at home. family doesnt have a problem with the snakes, my mom just has a fobia of mice. she has a nervous break down just by the site of one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast