Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,021

2 members and 3,019 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Domestic Ball pythons?

I was wondering if that could be possible after years of captive breeding?

Thanks

Re: Domestic Ball pythons?

I'm not really sure what you mean
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think what he's saying is. 'How many years in captivity and how many generations of captive breeding would it take before the ball python could be considered a domesticated animal' It's an interesting question, but I certainly don't know the answer. I'm not sure there CAN be an answer to that.

Thanks

I'm not sure what makes a reptile domestic. I don't know if it's brain capacity, behavior, or physical appearance that makes any animal domestic....

Thanks

Domestication refers to the process whereby a population of animals or plants becomes accustomed to human provision and control. Humans have brought these populations under their care for a wide range of reasons: to produce food or valuable commodities (such as wool, cotton, or silk), for help with various types of work (such as transportation or protection), for protection of themselves and livestock, and to enjoy as pets or ornamental plants.

Plants domesticated primarily for aesthetic enjoyment in and around the home are usually called house plants or ornamentals, while those domesticated for large-scale food production are generally called crops. Likewise, animals domesticated for home companionship are usually called pets while those domesticated for food or work are called livestock or farm animals.
    there you go.
    and this

Animals

According to evolutionary biologist Jared Diamond, animal species must meet six criteria in order to be considered for domestication:

1. Flexible diet — Creatures that are willing to consume a wide variety of food sources and can live off less cumulative food from the food pyramid (such as corn or wheat) are less expensive to keep in captivity. Most carnivores can only be fed meat, which requires the expenditure of many herbivores.
    2. Reasonably fast growth rate — Fast maturity rate compared to the human life span allows breeding intervention and makes the animal useful within an acceptable duration of caretaking. Large animals such as elephants require many years before they reach a useful size.
    3. Ability to be bred in captivity — Creatures that are reluctant to breed when kept in captivity do not produce useful offspring, and instead are limited to capture in their wild state. Creatures such as the panda and cheetah are difficult to breed in captivity.
    4. Pleasant disposition — Large creatures that are aggressive toward humans are dangerous to keep in captivity. The African buffalo has an unpredictable nature and is highly dangerous to humans. Although similar to domesticated pigs in many ways, American peccaries and Africa's warthogs and bushpigs are also dangerous in captivity.
    5. Temperament which makes it unlikely to panic — A creature with a nervous disposition is difficult to keep in captivity as they will attempt to flee whenever they are startled. The gazelle is very flighty and it has a powerful leap that allows it to escape an enclosed pen. Some animals, such as Domestic sheep, still have a strong tendency to panic when their flight zone is crossed. However, most sheep also show a flocking instinct, whereby they stay close together when pressed. Livestock with such an instinct may be herded by people and dogs.
    6. Modifiable social hierarchy — Social creatures that recognize a hierarchy of dominance can be raised to recognize a human as its pack leader. Antelope and giant forest hogs are territorial when breeding and cannot be maintained in crowded enclosures in captivity.
    hope that helps
    copied from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestication

Thanks

i think bp's are as domesticated as they can be if you think about how many millions of bps are being sold in pet trades and how many morphs there are i think its safe to say the yare as domesticated as they can be i mean look how long it took to get dogs domesticated and even some of them are still wild

Thanks

I wish that mine were more domestic. I would hand them each a feather duster, a rag, some PineSol.. and be on my way! Then I'd come home to a sparklin' clean house..
    I would then wake up.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.