Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

0 members and 2,867 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

just got a new BP

I just got a new bp like yesterday and I picked it up and stuff and held it and it struck at me 3 times almost getting my arm once.

everytime I go next to his cage now he tries to strike tthrough the wall, is he always gonna be like this or is he just hungry or what?

Thanks
    Probably not hungry, just defensive and scared. Leave it alone for a week and let it calm down and get used to it's new surrounding.

Also, what are your temps and your humidity? Does the snake have a place to hide in? How are you heating the enclosure? What kind of enclosure are you keeping it in? Pictures would be very helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 09-10-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Re: just got a new BP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    Probably not hungry, just defensive and scared. Leave it alone for a week and let it calm down and get used to it's new surrounding.

Also, what are your temps and your humidity? Does the snake have a place to hide in? How are you heating the enclosure? What kind of enclosure are you keeping it in? Pictures would be very helpful.

The temps and humidity idk because I haven't bought a temp gage yet. It has a half cutten log to hide in, i have a heating pad under the hideaway, i have him in a 5.5 gallon tank for right now upgrading to a 10 gallon in 3 days

Thanks
    Best get a way to control that heat pad, and something to check the temps with, like an infrared heat gun. Half log hides are not good for ball pythons. Get on that is enclosed on all sides, then you should be good to go

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by devinluttrell View Post
    The temps and humidity idk because I haven't bought a temp gage yet. It has a half cutten log to hide in, i have a heating pad under the hideaway, i have him in a 5.5 gallon tank for right now upgrading to a 10 gallon in 3 days
    You should NOT be running a heating pad that is not controlled by a THERMOSTAT because there's a great chance that your BP will get burned! Either turn off the heat pad or get a thermostat ASAP! Also, as someone already suggested, get a thermometer so you know what the temperature inside the terrarium is.

Here's a link how to properly set up a glass enclosure.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201740

If you're going to own any animal, you need to provide adequate care for it. Please improve your conditions ASAP.

Last edited by Mr. Misha; 09-11-2014 at 01:48 AM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

thejennabird (09-11-2014)

Thanks

Re: just got a new BP

On top of the thermostat and thermometers to ensure your snake has a happy home, I'd also recommend leaving him undisturbed (that means no handling) for at least the first week. Don't feed, don't touch. Check on him only when you need to. This will ensure he feels safe and relaxed in his tank, and make him more receptive to you handling him in the future! He'll calm down in time, provided you give him time to de-stress between handling.

I have a new BP and she can still be shy/skittish at times. It takes patience and time to get them used to the idea that you aren't going to eat them!
    0.1 Butter Pastel - Gloria