Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,032

1 members and 3,031 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: New Mice

Thanks

New Mice

I went to get feeders today and asked for some extra mice to be used as breeders. Once I got them home, I weighed them and did my best to sex them. All mice I purchased are under 20g, the biggest being a 19g male. The smallest is a 11g female. Two are colored and 6 are white. I believe I have four males and four females. I weighed one of my females who was going to be a breeder but she never produced anything and she weighs 40g.

What do you think I should do regarding the small mice. I was thinking of taking my two empty tanks (20L) and seperating the sexes and monitor their weights as they grow. Even the ones I bought for feeders need to put on more weight before I'm going to feed them to my snakes.

Since I don't know the ages of the mice and only their weights, at what weight would you consider it to be ok to begin breeding. They all look to be 4-5 weeks old, but again, I'm not sure. So lets just talk weights here for a bit. What weight do you consider good for a female breeder mouse?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: New Mice

Update: (even though no one really read this thread)

All female mice from that group are now over 20g, even the one that was 11g. The largest female is 23g. All seem to be 5 weeks old. The smallest male from that feeder group is now 18g and the largest is 23.

I think I will wait till some of the males are 25g before feeding them off. I'm keeping the brown male that is 23g right now for use as a feeder. As for the females, they will eventually become breeders once they reach the right size.

Still don't have an answer about that, but I guess 30g + is a good weight. They all have 7 weeks to go before being old enough to breed though.
    Under Construction.....