Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,349

1 members and 2,348 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Baby Ball Python Setup

It's been sticky-fied!

Very nice write-up, Chris! And good answers to the questions that are bound to come your way. Yes, the set up is a bit out of the norm...but that's just "norm" as BP.net tends to define it. There are so many ways to keep these little beauties that will work just fine.

I think what we really need to focus on teaching people is how to be aware of the needs of their animal and how to watch its behavior to understand if those needs are being met or not...and then to be willing to tweak the environment to make sure those needs are met.

The only thing I would add to THIS discussion about THIS setup...is to remind people that a rheostat is only really effective at maintaining proper temps when it's in a room that has a steady ambient temp. If your room temps swing 10 degrees between day and night...the UTH temps will as well. Just something to be aware of.
    -- Judy

Thanks

can I ask, you didn't attach the UTH to the bottom of the cage, what is it lying on then? I use the rubber feet for my cage as well but I attached the UTH to the bottom because it sits on wood and the darn thing does get hot....I worry about burning

I haven't been using a thermostat but I was packing about 2" aspen on top to avoid too much heat and it seemed to work out, but I ordered a Johnson thermostat because it's the right think to do.

anyways, just curious

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    It's been sticky-fied!

Very nice write-up, Chris! And good answers to the questions that are bound to come your way. Yes, the set up is a bit out of the norm...but that's just "norm" as BP.net tends to define it. There are so many ways to keep these little beauties that will work just fine.
    Thanks Judy, my points exactly. There are lots of ways to keep your baby ball python healthy and happy. This is just one example

I think what we really need to focus on teaching people is how to be aware of the needs of their animal and how to watch its behavior to understand if those needs are being met or not...and then to be willing to tweak the environment to make sure those needs are met.
    Well said. This setup works great for this ball python, but may not work for other snakes that might be more shy and need more hiding places.

The only thing I would add to THIS discussion about THIS setup...is to remind people that a rheostat is only really effective at maintaining proper temps when it's in a room that has a steady ambient temp. If your room temps swing 10 degrees between day and night...the UTH temps will as well. Just something to be aware of.
    Excellent point! The room I keep this setup in stays a constant temp all the time. Therefore a rheostat is easy to dial in and count on.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    can I ask, you didn't attach the UTH to the bottom of the cage, what is it lying on then? I use the rubber feet for my cage as well but I attached the UTH to the bottom because it sits on wood and the darn thing does get hot....I worry about burning
    That is a valid concern. Without a control on this particular heat pad it reaches 115 degrees and could effect the finish on wood. I made a pad using aluminum foil for the heat pad to sit on. Make the pad by loosely folding the foil over a few times and you have an excellent heat barrier.

I haven't been using a thermostat but I was packing about 2" aspen on top to avoid too much heat and it seemed to work out
    Just be careful as I have seen them submerse under the aspen and be in direct contact with the glass

Thanks

awesome idea...I am def doing that when I get the thermostat....

in the meantime I'm using a conventional heat pad set on low underneath the glass and no windows open in my room so it's pretty darn hot for me to sleep there...I never thought I'd be sleeping on the couch for the betterment of a snake....usually, it's my girlfriend making me do that

thanks again!

Banned
    Thanks

I never thought I'd be sleeping on the couch for the betterment of a snake....usually, it's my girlfriend making me do that
    I sure know how that feels!

thanks again!
    Glad I could help and good luck

Thanks

Is the tape on the screen on the inside of the tank?
    0.1 Normal Ball
    0.0.1 Bismarck Ringed Python

Thanks

Sorry, do you think you could maybe explain more on how you placed the heat pad. Haha I'm a little confused
    Mitch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cueball View Post
    The first step was the prep the aquarium. I choose to paint the back of it flat black to create a nice background color and hide any wiring. This was done with flat black spray paint on the outside out the glass. Next step is use aluminum foil to trap radiant heat inside the aquarium and avoid a hot spot created by the heat pad. I attached it using aluminum tape.

I have a question about this step:
    Did you use shiny-side up (facing inside of tank) on the hot-area, and shiny-side down for the cool? Its a little hard to tell, because I'm not sure if the flash is showing shiny side up or down on both halves. Thanks!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cgrinter View Post
    Is the tape on the screen on the inside of the tank?
    Yes, it is. This brings up a good point. There is risk invloved in having the tape where the snake and access it. This is why I use the aluminum foil tape, it has excellent rigidity and I don't feel there is a risk using it. It's also a good idea to slightly overlap the tape to make it "seamless".

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast