Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,878

1 members and 2,877 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

how long can a 3 month go without eating

hi everyone,
    I have posted before being a new snake mom
    had my BP for about 3 weeks we had a lot of start off troubles
    she is about 3 months old when I got her she had a cut under her chin from a large piece of aspen that they sent her home in.
    they were only keeping her in 80-85 temps going down at night
    so with that stress of a new home and going into a shed cycle she got very very stressed because I listened to them on temps, cage and humidity because I didn't know any better so she got some sores on her body to (yup I cried) soooo now she has a 10 gal glass tank under tank heater plus a infrared red heat lamp as well her tank is 85 on cool side 90-92 on warm side hide on both sides good size water dish in middle for her to soak (which she doesn't) paper towel for bottom log to use to shed humidity I have high right now because of a horriable shed as you could have guessed so its at 80% I've used polysporin on her wounds (I'm in Canada) which are healing up great she is 90% shed but she has ONE retained eye cap I watched the other one come off and just around where the sores are I soaked her to help with shed plus she was dehydrated so bath water was 85 degrees with a face cloth in there to slither over oh and electrolize supplement for dehydration.... so with all that how the heck do I get to her eat? I tried putting her in her feed box and just leaving her with her F/T mouse Nothing
    tried causing the mouse to bleed (that was gross by the way)
    tried taking her to spare room so there was no noise at all and putting a towel over top for darkness I tried to wiggle the mouse by the tail to get her interested but still nothing I'm worried how long can she go without eating
    I know its because of all her begining trouble with being handled because I had to pick her up everyday to treat her wounds but I haven't touched her in a few days let her do her thing just change her water thats it
    I'm going to a reptile show today I'm going to get a humidity hide because I made one out of a container but she wanted nothing to do with it

I'm trying guys please help
    I don't want her to starve she hasn't eating in almost a month
    oh and I did check her mouth for any problems when she yawns her mouth is a healthy pink no issues oh and she pee's just fine because she pee'd on me already *shaking head*

Thanks

Re: how long can a 3 month go without eating

forgot to add that I got two at the time and the other one is male I set his tank up exactly the same right next to hers they can't see each other though.. he hasn't missed a meal

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hi,

I'm a newbie too. I had problems with feeding also and decided to go with live until she was eating regularly. I'm hoping the transition to FT won't be too hard but the live food was taken very very quickly. I assume you have tried the pre-scenting, and hair dryer tricks?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

One of the best indicators is weight - did you weigh her when you first got her? They can go for quite a long time without eating but weightloss is the best guide to knowing when it's getting worrying.

I wouldn't worry too much about the retained eyecap just now really as it should hopefully come off with the next shed.

What are you using to measure the temps and humidity? ( just to check it's accurate).

She sounds like she's been going through a lot recently - has everything apart from the eye cap been resolved?

And, though this is purely me being nosey , what is the humid hide your going to get? I'm just using tupperware boxes with holes cut in them and regularly changed peat in the bottom of them.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

I picked up a black container see if that makes a difference all I had was clear and I cut holes in it
    I also picked up digital because I just had reg hardware store temp/humidity gauges cool side is showing 82.3 and warm side is showing 89.6
    she isn't completely healed but pretty close and she isn't dehydrated anymore
    and I'm sorry to say that no I didn't weigh her when I got her

Thanks

since i havent seen any new posts to this ill give my completly unprofessional opinion

it sounds to me like you may be trying to hard and changing things up too much, just leave the cage set up and dont move or alter it give her about 3-4 days to get use to it then attempt another feed. hopefully she will not be stressed out by then.

another small suggestion is not to remove her hide when she is in it less its to clean the cage or replace substraite. its there home and private place and dont enjoy invaders. however i would suggest getting the hides that press right to the glass so you can see in. i think its called exo-terra? they look really nice and reptiles do love them however there magnetic and you must be very careful replacing the magnetic outer shell as you can accidently pinch a tail tip which is extremly stressful. my suggestion is to put the hide up to the glass and leave it there without the outer cover. your snake will still feel secure and no pinched tailtips or unfortunate flickering tounge. can tape a peice of black paper over it if you think she doesnt feel like there is enough privacy in the hide with traffic outside. then just lift said paper to view in on her