Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,066

1 members and 3,065 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Making progress! Shed & poo!

She just had her first shed and her first poo since we brought her home! The shed did not come off all in one piece, but it does look like she got it all off. I was a little worried about it, because ever since we added the crumpled newspaper to help her feel secure and eat, the humidity has been a bit low (around 50% or upper 40s), and I haven't felt like I could do much in terms of misting without creating soggy newspaper mess. Each time we had a successful feed, we removed a couple more pieces of newspaper, and they are almost all gone now so that problem is fixing itself. When her eyes went cloudy, I added a humid hide and closed up the top as much as I thought I dared and still allow enough air circulation. Well, then the humidity shot up to "HI" on the accurite! So I opened it up what seemed like a tiny bit more, and it went down to 55%. So basically her humidity was yo-yo-ing like that for the past few days. Obviously, I need to figure out a better way to control the humidity more precisely.

Of course the pieces of shed were basically piled right beside the poo, and all of it in the humid hide. So I very carefully picked up the pieces of shed and actually it turned out there wasn't really any poo on them, but I would have had to look at them even if it was because I wanted to be sure the eyecaps came off, which they did. Yay!

We have also had 3 successful feedings in a row without a refusal, and the refusal before that was I think not so much of a refusal as she scared herself by missing her first attempt at striking. We have started handling her, and she seems in a good frame of mind when we do. Doesn't stay balled up, and also doesn't seem in a panic to get away. Sometimes just a little bit of curious exploring, and other times just hangs out without really exploring much but not balled up and scared looking either.

So I'm very happy with how things are going with our baby girl! The only thing left is to try to switch her to F/T now that she is eating reliably for us.
    Casey

Thanks

Re: Making progress! Shed & poo!

AWESOME! I'm happy all is going well for you so far!
    My snake poo's and sheds at the same time all the time!

You shouldnt have any problems swithching to F/T.
    I use a hair dryer to warm them up just before I dangle it with the tongs. Usually works well!
    Good Luck!
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?

Thanks

Pre-scent before frozen thaw. Works wonders.

Thanks

yeah defo, ive had no probems yet. i thaw in a mug of half boiled half cold tap which is just right. opening the viv and blowing the scent towards him works very well before you introduce it. if you watch it you can see the feeding mode trigger! awesome!!!

Thanks

Congrats on all the great work! It sounds like you're doing a great job!

If you've got a screen top, you can put a damp towel across 3/4 of it to bump the humidity... it goes up 10-15% for me (sometimes I have to do it during shed- it's a bit dry here sometimes). Other than re-wetting the towel a couple of times a day and changing it out every 2 days or so, it's a low-maintenance way to get more humidity.

I still haven't made the F/T switch myself... How long have you had her? I seem to remember someone saying you should wait a couple of months (to let her get used to everything) before trying the switch, but it might work for you right away.
    1.0 Husband (Aaron)
    1.0 Normal (Milton)
    1.0 Puppy (Ollie)

Thanks

On the humidity, I was told to put 3 layers of tin-foil over the top of the screen, allowing just enoughroom for air and the light, and then use duct tape over the foil. I tried it and love it. I use a 150watt light and have had no problems with humidity or heat. Hope this helps!

Thanks

Glad to hear the newspaper trick worked to get her settled and eating for you. That's always wonderful to hear.
    ~~Joanna~~