Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,850

0 members and 2,850 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hissing noise coming from mojo

Hey I just picked up mojo after he ate(waited the two days of course) and upon picking him up I let him chill around my neck while I went to do something and I heard a hissing noise. Now I heard this when I went to pick him up also and just figured he was saying hello to me. But putting him up to my ear I can it like 3 times in less then ten minutes. I am going to wait and see for one more day before vet but should I increase humidity or decrease it for the little guy in this case?

Thanks

Re: Hissing noise coming from mojo

I have never dealt with an RI myself so i wont be much for advice, but i have heard it both ways. Bump the temps up and drop the humidity and vice versa. But me personally until i got the snake to the vet i would bump the temps/humidity up. Or leave humidity where its at... Now dont forget if its a whistling sound "sometimes" its just the snake is coming off a shed cycle and there may be loose skinin the nasal.... But whatever the case i think its a great idea to take him/her to the vet. Good luck

Thanks

he looks like he may be getting ready for a shed actually right now. Has not shed before. It sounds like a very very small hiss of air letting out of say a bicycle tire but even that is overpowering the noise. It is very very very light hissing sound with NO popping at all to it.

Thanks

If he's about to shed I wouldn't worry too much, as its common for some noises to be made from the skin around the heat vent area. If it persists after the shed then I would get concerned about it.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

well the reason why I say he is ready to shed is he is starting to look a little duller then normal. His temp and humidity are always on key not that I got rid of the heat lmap hehe. Even when they have nto started showing the loose skin can they still have that sound?

Thanks

Yup,

I freaked out when this happened to me the first time, it was my first snake I was relatively new to keeping them and I thought for sure he had an RI. I took him to the vet and was advised to wait after the shed to see if the problem persisted; the problem was gone after shedding. Since then I've seen a bunch of people post the same sort of problem with it going away after shed. If for any reason you are very concerned about it, take him to the vet to put your conscious at ease.
    Last edited by Spaniard; 10-11-2007 at 03:41 PM.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

ok I can hold off then. he seems fine and even ate a nice fat hopper the other day. If he was sick he would skip out on a meal wouldn't he?

Thanks

Depends,

Snakes will still eat when infested with parasite, but more often than not sick=stress=no eating. If this is an animal you recently aquired I would recommend a vet visit for at least a fecal test if you have any doubts about the health of your animal.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

I know he is healthy so far other then the smear. I have yet to get him one of those. I just recently quit my job at dell to go work for a diff company but when I did take him in he seemed fine. I have a little cash set aside for true emergency situations for him but I don't wanna dig into that for routine vet checkup. When he hurt himself before I took him to a vet and he said the snake looks fine. I am worried as the little guy is no where near a year old and probably about 85 grams now or so. the scale was not the best so. think that is good weight?

Thanks

Some hatchlings weigh that much, some weigh less, others weigh more, it would all depend on the age of your snake which I guess you don't know exactly? Who did you purchase the snake from, perhaps they could give you a hatch date. My suggestion would be to bring a fecal sample next time to the vet, you don't have to take your snake just the baggy of poo and have them do tests on it for parasite. I think my vet charged me $35 for a fecal test but I'm in NY and everything is more expensive here. If that checks out clear then I would spend a little extra money on a digital scale to monitor weights. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, I use a cooking digital scale.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast