Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,081

3 members and 3,078 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: my ball python is wheezing?

Cold tank and breathing noise sounds like RI.

I wouldn't be quite as harsh about going to a pet store person since I personally know one that is very knowledgeable. However, I definately concur - see a herp vet. Then, if you are sure your pet store guy is experienced, you can use him as an additional resource. Pet store guys are more accessible than vets.

For example, my snake got RI from having cold spots in his cage. I went to a vet and eventually ended up with a handful of syringes and directions to give my snake shots! The store I got my BP from had three people all with vastly more experience giving snakes shots than I had - and that came in real handy because they were happy to help me out. I let them do the shots and just helped holding him. Man, its amazing how tough it is to restrain a snake.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

The other issue I'm seeing from the pic of your tank is your hide placements. They are basically almost bumping up against each other so how are you providing for a proper cool and warm side hide? They need to be about 10 degrees different and I'm not sure that's being achieved with your setup (80-82 cool side, 90-92 warm side).

As well it's often advised to go with identical hides (those half log ones aren't a great choice). Ball pythons will show a hide preference and not move back and forth - properly regulating their body heat - if the hides are different.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Taking it to a qualified Veternarian is your only answer. If you suspect a snake or reptile of URI It not only needs to be properly treated with heat, Humidity and meds,
    But The actual strain or URI needs to be determined with a trach culture as different URI's can be immune to different Meds. and in fact not be URI at all But abother bacteria or problem ....
    Always follow the entire course of medications. Prescribed or you can create a immune strain of URI, and follow the directions explicitly...IE if your to keep the meds in the freezer Fridge, or room temp etc. ..Do........... Some Meds not kept in the proper temps will be as useful as sterile water in just a few days...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12