So I just went out yesterday and bought my first snake (I BP). I love him already and want to make sure I do everything right. The guy at the store said he was less than a year old, and set me up w/ a 10 gallon tank, water bowl, a hide, some aspen, as well as a digital thermostat, a lamp, and a 40 watt bulb.

I set it all up yesterday, but the temp never even got to 75 degrees. I went to a different store today and bought a 100watt day bulb (the same exact kind that I had just stronger/a daylight blue) and a red 75watt bulb for the night. When I came home I read online that a 100watt bulb would cook anything in a ten gallon tank and got nervous so I raised the bulb a few inches off of the top of the screen. The temp got to about 79. I just switched to the night bulb (75) and the temp is now a 80.4 degrees. Since I switched to the stronger bulbs he's been sitting on top of the hide (about six inches under the bulb). I would think he'd move if it was too hot but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post... I'm obviously new to this.

p.s.
I think he's starting to shed, his skin looks very wrinkly and his eyes look cloudly from certain angles.