Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ













» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 46,246
Threads: 199,779
Posts: 2,087,964
Top Poster: JLC (31,141)
Welcome to our newest member, Bee90

» November 2014

S M T W T F S
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Registered User bcampos's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-16-2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Images: 4

    Petco Ball Python

    Some of you may have read about my Petco BP purchase last week, or my variety of husbandry set up questions etc in the past few days. As I mentioned in my previous post, I was able to find out that the Petco by me was providing captive bred ball pythons, according to an invoice that a friend who works there was able to grab. So the invoice says the snakes were sold to Petco by "Gourmet Rodent."

    I've seen packaging from this company relating to frozen food etc. So today I called, and the guy on the phone also reported that all their BP's are captive bred, without exception.

    Has anyone else heard of this company and or its reputation?

    -Camp

  2. #2
    BPnet Veteran jglass38's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-28-2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,055
    Thanks
    215
    Thanked 473 Times in 241 Posts
    Images: 1

    Re: Petco Ball Python

    Quote Originally Posted by bcampos
    Some of you may have read about my Petco BP purchase last week, or my variety of husbandry set up questions etc in the past few days. As I mentioned in my previous post, I was able to find out that the Petco by me was providing captive bred ball pythons, according to an invoice that a friend who works there was able to grab. So the invoice says the snakes were sold to Petco by "Gourmet Rodent."

    I've seen packaging from this company relating to frozen food etc. So today I called, and the guy on the phone also reported that all their BP's are captive bred, without exception.

    Has anyone else heard of this company and or its reputation?

    -Camp
    Gourmet Rodent holds the contract for all Petcos as far as I am aware. I would find it nearly impossible to believe that all the BPs provided to Petco are CB. Most likely they are all CH or imported and the person you spoke to doesn't know the difference.

  3. #3
    BPnet Veteran jglass38's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-28-2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,055
    Thanks
    215
    Thanked 473 Times in 241 Posts
    Images: 1

    Re: Petco Ball Python

    By the way, which Petco in NJ?

  4. #4
    Registered User bcampos's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-16-2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Images: 4

    Re: Petco Ball Python

    Thats what I was thinking.... The only thing that even begins to make me think is when I asked what the origin of the BP's they provide are, he specifically stated "captive bred."

    To me that means one of three things: They are actually captive bred (unlikely), He is full of it, Or someone told him that (in which case he is full of it by proxy).

    Just wanted to post that info to see if anyone else had any similar experience or knowledge on the topic....

    Pecto in Verona, NJ

  5. #5
    BPnet Veteran jglass38's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-28-2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,055
    Thanks
    215
    Thanked 473 Times in 241 Posts
    Images: 1

    Re: Petco Ball Python

    Quote Originally Posted by bcampos
    Thats what I was thinking.... The only thing that even begins to make me think is when I asked what the origin of the BP's they provide are, he specifically stated "captive bred."

    To me that means one of three things: They are actually captive bred (unlikely), He is full of it, Or someone told him that (in which case he is full of it by proxy).

    Just wanted to post that info to see if anyone else had any similar experience or knowledge on the topic....

    Pecto in Verona, NJ
    Do you know how many clutches they would have to be doing to produce enough CB babies to stock the Petco stores around the country (unless they only have East coast stores)? Petco has over 850 stores.

  6. #6
    Registered User bcampos's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-16-2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Images: 4

    Re: Petco Ball Python

    Yeah actually no I have no idea... I'm new to this snake thing - I had to look up what a clutch was. Before that I thought it was a series of plates in a transmission that allowed the drive to be temporarily disconnected from the motor to change gears.

    I dont know how many clutches or clutchi they would have to have. JK

    But on a side note, I stoped in the store yesterday to pick up some dog treats, and they had a (I'm using this term loosley) fresh batch of BP's. So the tag says "Baby" Ball Pythons. I'm no expert, but does baby qualify for 24" snakes?

  7. #7
    Steel Magnolia rabernet's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-12-2005
    Location
    In the Nest
    Posts
    29,182
    Thanks
    2,766
    Thanked 5,507 Times in 3,067 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images: 46

    Re: Petco Ball Python

    Or perhaps, because they were likely CH, they figured, hatched in captivity, we'll call them captive bred.

    Just throwing out a theory!

  8. #8
    Registered User bcampos's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-16-2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Images: 4

    Re: Petco Ball Python

    I did a little research and there are a few sourses that mention Gourmet Rodent as a snake breeder. One even went as far as to say they breed their own corn and ball python snakes.... But again what we call captive hatch they may call breeding...

    Aparently they are quite a large operation though.

  9. #9
    BPnet Veteran dalvers63's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-27-2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Images: 27

    Re: Petco Ball Python

    Quote Originally Posted by bcampos
    But on a side note, I stoped in the store yesterday to pick up some dog treats, and they had a (I'm using this term loosley) fresh batch of BP's. So the tag says "Baby" Ball Pythons. I'm no expert, but does baby qualify for 24" snakes?
    Unless you measured one, I'd say that is a bit long for a baby. Ball pythons DO have large babies on average. My hatchlings were all around 73g out of the egg. I don't know how long they were as I didn't measure them, though I would guess them to be around 10-12". Depending on how long these guys were held before being shipped, they could grow quite a bit if they were fed.

    Deb
    ***********

    iHerp. Do you?

  10. #10
    Registered User bcampos's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-16-2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Images: 4

    Re: Petco Ball Python

    No I didnt measure them.. They were shedding and I did not feel that was an appropriate time to handle the snakes. The salesman said they were a bit "fresh" and stuck at him a few times. But sarcasm aside, they were a good 1.5" thick in the center... Much larger than any I have ever seen for sale as "babies."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1