Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,987

0 members and 2,987 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Making Sure.

Thanks

Making Sure.

So, I posted another topic and got some good advice, and I appreciate it lots!

I have had my ball python for a week now (it is a little past midnight). I haven't held or really messed with it at all. When I notice it roaming around, I try and approach slowly and just sit by it. I thought it might help it get used to me. Do you think it does? I plan on feeding him/her later on today. He's definitely hungry and I'm really hoping this will calm him down. Today is Monday, I think I will make an attempt at holding him on Wednesday or Thursday. I read something about the yellow gloves that are usually used to wash dishes. I think I will invest in some of those because I'm not really over the fear of getting bitten yet, heh. Though I will be holding him with gloves, will that still help to getting him used to being held? Also, a friend of mine told me to get an old (but clean) t-shirt and wear it around for a little while. He said to not use deodorant and to not get all sweaty and then to put it in the tank for a while. Will that help as well?

Last thing. He is currently in a 20 Tall Gallon tank. Two hides, one at hot end and one at cool end. Lid is definitely weighted down. Water dish. Under tank heat mat. Aspen bedding. All sound good? I plan on putting a piece of newspaper down and putting his (thawed) mouse on that. Is it likely that he will come out of his hide by himself or should I remove his hide or what?

I just want to make sure that all this sounds good!
    Thanks sooo much for all the help!
    I really think this is going to work out.

Thanks

Re: Making Sure.

Sounds good to me! Although, about the gloves, they really aren't necessary. Trust me, even if he does snap at you (highly unlikely) it'll feel like somebody flicked you and MAYBE leave a little crescent of pinpricks which probably won't even bleed. Seriously, it feels like getting flicked, when they're little--doesn't hurt at all! It'll shock you and scare you cause of how fast it is, but that's it. Believe me! It's alright.
    As for the shirt-well, I've never tried that, but it sounds like a pretty good idea, to me; it'll give him another place to hide and get him used to your scent, I suppose.

And, congratulations on your baby!

edit: also, happy late birthday! feels good to be 18, huh?
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal
    edit: also, happy late birthday! feels good to be 18, huh?
    Haha! Yeah it does!

And thanks for the reassurance!
    I'm so used to corn snakes that this whole ball python thing is just different for me I suppose!

Thanks

No problem! XD And, I guess it would be a big difference!!
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

Yo! Happy late birthday too. You got a digital thermo-meter to regulate temps? Those are TOO helpful in making sure you got the right temps. Somebody probably told you all this but make sure that thawed mouse is above room temperature when you feed it. You have a rheostat or a thermostat to control temps on that UTH? I use UTH and sometimes they can get pretty hot.

Nah no gloves needed. It's best to get the bite over with. Getting bitten is a right of passage. One of my larger adult female ball pythons bit her previous owner and there was blood squirting. Not to scare you but... I never been bitten by her. The last owners were scared to get her out of her enclosure and I think the snake sensed this. I don't use fast movements when I pick up my snakes.

Thanks

if you're Ball is still a baby I wouldnt worry about being bitten, I wouldnt worry about that till it gets bigger just remember to wash your hands if they touch any rodent, or rodent used items. Most bites happen due to misunderstanding heh heh, as in the Ball thinks your hand is food.

Thanks

Haha!! Squirting blood...*grin* My big girl's bitten me a few times, but I've never had squirting blood. It would be awesome if blood did squirt, though! Although, I don't think this is a very reassuring topic...Anyways, bites from babies probably won't even make you bleed.
    No fast movements is good, too!
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

Firsrt I would like to wish you a happy birthday (I know, a little late). The T-shirt idea doesnt seem necessary. The snake will only regard it as an item/object and will not connect it to you. If it makes you feel more comfortable then go for it. Also i would suggest getting a digital thermometer so you know what the temps are. At wal-mart you can get an indoor/outdoor thermometer that also has a hygrometer. Acu-rite I believe is the brand name. it has a probe that you can use to monitor the hot side temps. I would also recomend getting a thermostat that will regulate the tempature of the heat pad. Thermostats are a must have item. you can find them online for many different prices. As for the gloves, there is no need for them. If you did get bit (I highly doubt will happen) it wouldnt even hurt. They are called the ball python because when they feel threatend (this is the most likely reason that you would even be bit in the first place) they ball up and hide their head in there coils. But once again, if it makes you feel more comfortable then go for it. I wish you good luck.
    1.0.0 BP "Monty"
    1.0.0 Burmese Python "Maximus"
    0.1.0 Golden Retriever "Ginger"
    0.0.2 Cichlids

When you know everything, thats when what you didn't know slaps you in the face.