Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,044

2 members and 3,042 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mites?

Thanks

Mites?

I just got back from the store where I got Green Beans a couple of mice and placed the box on top of his mesh so he can smell them. I sat down and watched him to see if he reacts and comes out of his house. But I suddenly noticed a bunch of little light grey bugs crawling around on his hide. Could he have mites?
    I've had him since August, 2016. Neither he nor I have been in contact with any other snakes and he was always only in this enclosure. He is also the only snake that has ever lived in there. From his previous owner I know that he had mites or ticks when he came from the store at age 2 but that was taken care of.
    Last edited by Paty; 02-05-2017 at 12:18 AM.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Without seeing them idk... However what are you isning for substrate? Ive aeen several post over the last couple months about bugs in the substrate people were buying. I use Butcher Paper.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Paty (02-05-2017)

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Mites?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Without seeing them idk... However what are you isning for substrate? Ive aeen several post over the last couple months about bugs in the substrate people were buying. I use Butcher Paper.
    I just uploaded a video if them. It's hard to focus the camera because the glass has a bunch of scratches but you can kind of see them. His substrate is coconut husk. Besides the fibery bits, it also has some chunks in it. I bought it in a large bag at a reptile store a few months ago. When I I itially put it in, I didn't need all of it so I held on the the left over and used it to replace the old substrate when I cleaned out his droppings. A couple of weeks ago, I took out half of his entire susbtrate and put in all of the left over. It's probably half old, half new now but until an hour ago I never saw anything crawling in his cage. I haven't seen any ON him since I noticed them about an hour ago. He ate his two mice and went back in his hide. It's hard to see if they're on him because he only stuck his head out for the mice and I don't like watching him kill them so I went in the hallway and when I came back, the mouse was gone and he was already back in his hide :/

Thanks

Thanks

The video won't play on my phone, not sure if you can open it...

Thanks
    I'm not able to open it on my computer.

Thanks

I uploaded the video on youtube, here's the link to that.
    https://youtu.be/2Tbb9MQ6_PA

Thanks

So I checked his water dish and I'm fairly certain they are mites. Now to the cleanup portion.
    I just fed him 2 mice tonight (half of what he normally eats but I wanted to get him a rat next week, they were out so I got the mice as a "snack" for now).
    I'm planning on spending the day tomorrow to clean everything and start quarantining him for the duration of the treatment.
    I don't have any other snakes but he will stay separate from his tank while I treat it. Can I move him into his quarantine enclosure even though he just ate? He has never regurgitated anything and I used to feed him in a separate tub and then put him back right after.

I've noticed him soaking more lately but I figured it's because he is going into shed. He always eats during shed no problem which is why I fed him anyway. He probably started soaking more about a week ago so I don't want to wait any longer than daybreak. His usual enclosure is a bit over 100gal so I wanted to get him a smaller one tomorrow at the pet store with a small heating pad to keep him comfortable while he has to wait to go back. White paper towels and cereal boxes, and his water dish only, is my plan. Any more suggestions?

I CANNOT BELIEVE I LET THIS HAPPEN AND DIDN'T NOTICE IT FOR SO LONG. my poor man! 😢

Thanks

My eyes don't seem to be playing ball this morning when trying to watch the video, but could they possibly be wood mites? Only thinking of this because after changing one of our substrate supplies we were suddenly hit by them, all over the enclosure, the table the enclosure was on but not on the actual snake it's self. I would suggest leaving his meal to digest and then work on getting rid of them, regurgitation is not pretty lol.
    1.0 Normal Royal Python
    0.1 Unknown Morph Royal
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python
    0.1 Cat
    0.1 Dog ~ Bullmastif
    0.1 Boyfriend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast