Hi everyone, I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice.

First of all this is our first year to breed our snakes.

March 31st our BP laid 4 eggs. We took them that night. April 1st she had another egg, it was cold and she dropped it while laying over her log in the cage. The next day or 2 she had 2 bad eggs.

We thought she had more eggs in her. She was exhausted but she kept trying to lay more eggs. I took her to the vet, he got one egg out, it was rotten smelling. He took a radiograph and could see 3 more developed eggs in her and 2 more (maybe) bad eggs, (not developed).

The doctor told me she was egg bound, she was very weak and her uterus was very thin and "wore out". He said she looked to be bred out. I was very upset. He said he could do surgery and try to get the remaining eggs out of her but he thought they were attached to her inside and she most likely will not survive the surgery. So, I brought her home to die.

He told me BP's will lay eggs even if you never breed her. I have more BP's and they have never laid any eggs when not bred.

MY biggest question is, when BP's seem to be having trouble laying eggs, what should I do other than take her to the vet?

I soaked my BP in warm water and put some KY jelly around but that did not help her. After watching the vet I saw what he did which was use a Q-tip and insert it in her all around the egg and he pushed it right out.

Any advice you can give me is appreciated.