Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,660

4 members and 2,656 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: You wing it?

Thanks

You wing it?

Think when I breed, im jsut gonan grab a morph female, through it with my normal male, and see what I get, lol, anyone else wing it or do you all put careful planning into your breeding?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: You wing it?

Quote Originally Posted by sw204me
    Think when I breed, im jsut gonan grab a morph female, through it with my normal male, and see what I get, lol, anyone else wing it or do you all put careful planning into your breeding?
    Careful planning - will you have a baby rack, or individual set-ups for each baby? Do you know how to get newly hatched ball pythons feeding? Have you researched incubators and thermostats (we're talking Helix or Herpstat, not ESU)? Do you know how to tell if your female is in distress?

Do you plan to sell your offspring? How do you plan to market yourself? As a breeder that just "winged" it, or as someone who has carefully planned your breeding? Will you be able to offer support to your customers when they have problems, ie, feeding, shedding, questions?

Thanks

whoa whoa there partner, slow down there....LoL!

#1 Im not breeding for another 4-5 years.

#2 I plan to do it as a hobby, not for money.

#3 I ment as in careful planning on the offspring you get, not the care you provide for them.

#4 I will be more then ready and have the needed knowledge to take take of the offspring when the time comes to breed.

When I said wing it, I ment as in calculating the exact kind of offspring your gonna get and the chance of each one with a raito per tpye etc etc.....not wing the care you will provide for em.

Thanks

I would think that with all the time it takes to get a female up to breeding size, the time and expense involved in incubating and housing the clutches, etc., that winging it would be the last option I would want to take. It's really not that hard to learn exactly what the possibilities are, so why take chances?
    I mean, they aren't easter eggs we're talking about here...

Thanks

I dont think you can wing it, when you buy the morph, you know what you're going to get.

Thanks

Think you all are taking this the wrong way, and it's most likely due to poor wording on my part, when I said "wing it", I didnt mean wing the care you will provide for em, thats just careless and punishing the very creatures you helpped bring into this world. They should not be held accountable for the irresponsiblity you have when breeding your snakes. I simply ment/asked if you wing the combination of the offspring you will get. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

Think you all are taking this the wrong way, and it's most likely due to poor wording on my part, when I said "wing it", I didnt mean wing the care you will provide for em, thats just careless and punishing the very creatures you helpped bring into this world. They should not be held accountable for the irresponsiblity you have when breeding your snakes. I simply ment/asked if you wing the combination of the offspring you will get. Sorry for the confusion.
    No, I get what your'e saying, I just agree with James. If you put a normal with a morph, it's not exactly brain surgery to know what the ratios are going to be on the clutch....
    Unless you get into putting morphs het for more morphs...then I'm lost and it WOULD be like easter for me. But then I would just post the question, and I know several people here would be more than happy to help me out!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

When it comes to breeding a morph to a normal you have a pretty good idea of what your outcomes will be, of course it is if everything goes right and the odds are with you, to have an idea of the outcomes I would recommend this link http://www.ballpython.ca/genetics.html
    Deborah Stewart