Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,891

0 members and 1,891 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Re: Bad shed? No problem.

Most balls don't like to soak, but having a container large enough for them to do so gives them the option. I have a spider who likes to soak when he's opaque...none of my other snakes do. My humidity's fine, and I use a spray bottle to wet them down once a day when they go opaque. No bad sheds.

Very good tutorial here. One note, though: I dont' recommend leaving the washcloth in with the snake while it soaks. It's a sure bed that the snake will pee in the water if you do (Murphy's Law). lol
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

This is a common and efficient strategy when it comes to clearing up bad sheds and creating an better appetite. However it should be carried out with extreme care, and supervised during the entire procedure.

Recently, a member from this forum lost a Ball Python when using this strategy. Ball Pythons are not aquatic species, and rarely choose to soak their bodies. Being trapped inside a container with water for a period of them can cause them to panic, and possibly drown themselves.

Supervision is required through the entire procedure; even if the snake seems fine when it was first put in, it might panic later on. Also, extreme care is required; in terms of temperature, if the water is too hot, it will harm the snake physically and psychologically. When it comes to the amount of water; large amounts can be dangerous. Small amounts of water can be just as effective, as the hight humidity of the container also helps with the shed. Lastly, a plastic container filled with water can be very slippery for a snake. A wet towel or paper towels can provide the snake with something to hold onto, and reduce stress.

Every Ball Python may react to this strategy differently, thus not every snake can tolerate it.
    1.0 Pastel Piebald - Francis

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! Delilah finally went through her first shed (since we got her) this week, and it was a messy one... thought the humidity in her viv was okay, but apparently it just wasn't quite right. I followed the instructions on this thread, and after a 60-minute soak and some good "massaging" with a towel, she is finally looking good! She had the most trouble with her head, so does anyone have tips for the next time?
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

The first shed Atticus went through with me was a bad one and although most of it has fallen off, there are still leftovers close to his head. Should I still apply this method or should I try something different? He is particularly head shy in most cases and every once and a great while he isn't, so I didn't want to facilitate his shyness by trying to remove the shed with a washcloth or with my fingers.

Thanks

My BP is in his shed cycle now, this is the first time he's been through this since I got him. So I'm hoping everything will turn out great. If his shed doesn't come out so well, this thread will definitely help me out. Thank you!

Thanks

This worked perfectly =], Pete's shed went pretty much great, but I did this just for a couple spots and he seemed to have enjoyed his swim in his little hottub i made for him since he kind of fought to go back into the water when i went to take him out lol

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Bad shed? No problem.

Thank you for the step by step. This is fantastic for us first time snake owners.

Thanks

This is a really informative post, thanks! I do have one question though. I did this with my ball the other night as she was having a bad shed and needed some help getting her caps off.

I let her soak for just under an hour and then, as I was instructed by my supplier/local breeder, lightly rolled a piece of tape on my finger over the caps and they came right off.

However since that night, she seems to have what appears to be a line over her eye as if there is still a cap there, even though I am almost 100% positive it came off.

Have you ever seen this? Could it be the remains of a cap from a previous shed that went unnoticed until now? I'm just not sure and I don't want to make a mistake trying to remove what isn't there and hurt the poor girl.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

To be able to try and help we would need a really good clear picture showing the line.

I'm sorry to say there is a reason we do not recommend people apply sticky tape to their animals eyes - it is possible to cause damage doing it if you are not carefull.

But don't panic it is by no means certain you have done so - throw up a pic and we will have a look.

It's probably best to do it in a new thread in the BP husbandry section to make sure people see it.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

is the part where the snake should be soked when there is a bad shed not before cause it can do more harm then good only for ball pythons or for all snakes?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast