Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,810

2 members and 2,808 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Why Ball Pythons have such narrow environmental ranges

http://my.gorongosa.net/staff/wurste...ltural_gr.html

I found this interesting, and thought some of you may, as well. While not all ball pythons live inside termite mounds, they are an ideal habitat for these snakes, and they are found there quite frequently. They prefer them for egg incubation.

Within a termite mound, temperatures and humidity are kept at a constant these snakes find ideal. What temperature to termites keep their nests at? 31 C (87.8 F). Yes, that's the exact ideal temperature for incubating ball python eggs--mine are cooking right now at 88F.

The humidity inside of a termite mound stays near 100%, so our estimation of a ball python's comfortable humidity range is probably on the low side. The difficulty in eliminating wetness while maintaining high humidity is probably the primary problem--they are prone to skin problems whenever there is excessive dampness or direct moisture, and a very high humidity will lead to a lot of condensation, and make things too wet. So, we probably really keep them at the lower end of their humidity tolerance.

On the other hand, entry to a termite mound is usually gained through a rodent, aardvark, or other animal's digging into the base of the mound, which upsets the internal environment at that point. So the humidity MAY be lower in a compromised cellar--I'm not sure on that point, and wasn't able to find any information.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (04-21-2010),Danounet (04-21-2010),Driver (12-27-2011),Foschi Exotic Serpents (04-21-2010),jben (04-21-2010),kitedemon (04-23-2010),Severum11 (04-24-2010),SlitherinSisters (04-23-2010),unspecified42 (04-21-2010),Unstable3lement (02-17-2012)

Thanks

Re: Why Ball Pythons have such narrow environmental ranges

Kool info thanks!
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

I liked this quite a bit.

Thanks

I've heard that alot of them prefer termite mounds, can't remember where exactly I heard that though.

Personally, I think termites are amazing creatures. Even if they do have the power to destroy houses.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

In the wild, they can leave if it's too humid but in an enclosure they don't have that choice!

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Termite mound humidity is kept close to 100% without being wet. The surrounding Savannah environment is normally extremely dry, hot, and quite a hostile environment--since an incubating mother ball python doesn't leave her eggs for 2 months, it seems likely that ball pythons are happy at a near 100% humidity--so long as there is good ventilation and moisture control. Which exactly what you have in a termite mound--excellent ventilation, due to the chimney setups. (termites open and close chimneys to control temperatures). While ball pythons CAN leave a termite mound, it doesn't seem likely there is such a thing as humidity that is too high for them. Their ability to tolerate much lower humidity around 60% is explained by the fact that they often need to make do with rodent burrows when they can't find an unoccupied termite mound with an entrance.

I do think we should consider 60% to be a minimum, not necessarily an ideal. While ball pythons are very hardy, it seems reasonable that they would benefit from similar environmental conditions to those we keep rainbow boas at--ie, high air flow, high humidity. For those who have the means and single pet animals, this type of setup MIGHT prove to be superior.

Considering the range of conditions we see ball pythons thriving in, they're really quite extraordinary when it comes to their adaptability, but there are limits (particularly with temperatures).
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

I believe this is true and I have never noticed any problem with having high humidity. I have had BPs have a bad shed with humidity as high as 60%. I have always believed it should be at the very least 60%.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

That is very interesting thank you WingedWolfPsion! I find that I actually have a humidity gradient that goes along with the temperature gradient. I usually see stats like 67% cool side and 40% hot side I keep a humid hide in between the hot and cool sides. Mine seems only to use it as a bathroom it is 80% of the time where I find his 'gifts'! I switched from tubs to a vision, I don't know how much of a factor that is but some as it is taller than the tubs I had.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh my gosh that makes total sense! I have always wondered how such sensitive eggs were able to hatch in the wild. Smart snakes!

Thanks for sharing that!
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 04-23-2010 at 08:18 PM.