Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,847

1 members and 2,846 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: African Soft Fur (Rat Family)

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeySnakeSnake
    How many grams do adult size ones get?
    60-70 grams
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo
    Why does every raise the big (normal) rats and hope they can keep the weanlings the size needed to feed off?
    Because us boa keepers need the retired breeders to keep our fat boas happy!
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222
    I am on the east coast!! ..Please, point me in the right direction!!
    You need to come down to South Jersey, (the 51st State ). I bought 2 trios for $5 a trio back in December and my all 4 of my females are about to have their second litter.

I don't think these are a fad, I could see them replacing the larger rats in that they are much easier to raise and take up much less room. I would say by mid-summer you will see them at the shows for pretty cheap and a few frozen ones also. I can say that mine are not the type you take out and play with as they tend to defend themselves pretty well and they can jump!

I have not fed any to my snakes yet. I only got a few males out of my first litters.

And yes, they do smell less!
    Keeper of many different types of animals and plants.

http://www.jbffarms.com

Thanks

I researched these rats online a bit before I got them. If I recall correctly, they have like 10 nipples which is the most amount of nipples in the rodent family. Common logic would tell me that that many nipples would accomodate for larger litters. I hear they are quite the nuisance in parts of africa as well.

My first litter was 12...not bad for a first litter...She didn't even eat any of them....

And talk about defending the babies... I can't even do cage maintenance (water bottle changings, feeding, cleaning) without being attacked by the parents. I don't see these animals becoming pets. They tend to nip and not sit still, they can really jump too. Imagine me cleaning out my 10 gallon, my cat and dogs watching intently, and then one rat jumps out of my "holding" bucket with a screen lid on top.....then the poor scared rat running across the room followed closely by the cat and then the two dogs, and then me....sigh. I have limited space at the moment but soon rat cleaning days will be in another room all together.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsnaps
    I researched these rats online a bit before I got them. If I recall correctly, they have like 10 nipples which is the most amount of nipples in the rodent family. Common logic would tell me that that many nipples would accomodate for larger litters. I hear they are quite the nuisance in parts of africa as well.

My first litter was 12...not bad for a first litter...She didn't even eat any of them....
    Standard rats have 12 nipples.... My rats have about 15 babies per litter

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsnaps
    And talk about defending the babies... I can't even do cage maintenance (water bottle changings, feeding, cleaning) without being attacked by the parents. I don't see these animals becoming pets. They tend to nip and not sit still, they can really jump too. Imagine me cleaning out my 10 gallon, my cat and dogs watching intently, and then one rat jumps out of my "holding" bucket with a screen lid on top.....then the poor scared rat running across the room followed closely by the cat and then the two dogs, and then me....sigh. I have limited space at the moment but soon rat cleaning days will be in another room all together.
    That's what concerns me - these are reported to be more nippy and defensive than your standard rat - I'd be concerned that they'd be more likely to bite than a rat pup of the same size.

Thanks

Multimammate Rats are so-called because the females possess a superfluity of teats, more than any other rodent. (Multimammate = Latin, meaning literally "many-breasted".)

Ill repost with the website

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm just saying, all "normal" rats (what most of us commonly breed) have 12 teats. It did say that it was uncommon in smaller rodents, so it must have been in comparison to mice (I'm unaware of how many teats they have).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill
    60-70 grams
    They get a little bigger than that...
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...1/DSCN0183.jpg
    Last edited by rabernet; 02-27-2008 at 07:46 AM. Reason: image larger than 800 pixels
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

Well, all I know for sure is that my rat had a nice healthy litter of 12 which surprised me...for one, I didn't realize she was pregnant (and I am usually very observant) and for 2, 12 for a first litter...But no, I never sat down and counted teats, I don't think they would appreciate that very much

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast