Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

1 members and 3,066 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

feeding failure...

ok so i just trying to feed Momo my new BP. i didnt handle him all week, the temps and humidty are where they are suppose to be and i put in a small live mouse just awhile ago for about 20 mins and nothing. i could see momo's head close to the from of his hide and nothing. so i got the mouse and held it by the tail about 3-4 inches away from his hide for a little while and nothing so i just have a live mouse so another week till next sunday. but should i do?

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: feeding failure...

i would just leave your snake alone... let it get more relaxed... and then try feeding again in a week. if he still won't eat... then i'd add some crumpled up newspaper into his enclosure for a week and then try to feed again.

when he gets hungry enough... he'll eat.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    then i'd add some crumpled up newspaper into his enclosure for a week and then try to feed again.

when he gets hungry enough... he'll eat.
    can you explain what the crumpled up paper will do?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by munky5435
    ok so i just trying to feed Momo my new BP. i didnt handle him all week, the temps and humidty are where they are suppose to be and i put in a small live mouse just awhile ago for about 20 mins and nothing. i could see momo's head close to the from of his hide and nothing. so i got the mouse and held it by the tail about 3-4 inches away from his hide for a little while and nothing so i just have a live mouse so another week till next sunday. but should i do?
    Was he able to see you or your shadow? Some balls will not eat if they see you move.What i do is set as still as you can or in a area where i can see the cage but the snake can not see me.If this is a baby then sometimes they will take a little longer to eat for the first time.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

it's actually a method adam recommends. it assists the snake to feel safer in it's enclosure. it can slither underneath.

what kind of enclosure do you have?
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

i am using a tank set up. i was holding the mouse from the backside of the hide so he wouldnt see me just the mouse. and yes it is still a baby i believe. i still dont understand what the newspaper is for. just get a piece and crumpled it up and throw it in the tank for a week?

Thanks

i am using a tank set up. i was holding the mouse from the backside of the hide so he wouldnt see me just the mouse. and yes it is still a baby i believe. i still dont understand what the newspaper is for. just get a piece and crumpled it up and throw it in the tank for a week?
    makes the snake feel like the enclosure is not as big. do it with more than one piece. add 4 or 5 or even more depending on how big your tank is and take out a piece every week or so. the snake will not really notice much that the floor space of the tank "got bigger" and will be more accustomed over time
    lots of snakes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

How large is the tank? If its larger then a 10 gallon its to large for your baby ball python.How many hides does he have? Baby balls think everything is out to eat them so you have to make his tank a safe area for him.They do not like wide open spaces so thats where the crumpled up paper comes in handy.How are you heating his tank?
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

your snake may be a little afraid with the clear glass of a tank... that's why many of us use rubbermaid, sterilite containers which are more cloudy.

fill the bottom of the tank with lightly crumpled (in balls) newspaper. you can do it now. whatever it takes to fill the bottom of the tank. and as tmlowe said above... each week you just remove one of the crumpled pieces.

you can also try covering three of the sides of your tank so only the front is clear... that'll make him feel safer as well.
    in light, Aleesha

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

use live mice.
    -marshall

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast