Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

0 members and 3,073 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Indiana Man Killed By 14ft Python

just wanted to say i'm very sorry for your loss. and thank you for bumping this thread up! i think it's very important for giant owners to be reminded of why they should follow precautions... there's no reason for deaths like this to happen!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is a terrible tragedy for that to happen, but I applaude the efforts of everyone involved in getting the truth out, and the understanding out there as well.

He will not have died in vain, and I am glad to have been able to read up on this.

Education is the key.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

Hi, it seems I see this ad several places, first off I live in Indiana and quite familiar with this accident. One I raise Retics for pets and not to knock other speices but except for size retics make a good pet. Just like amanda in W.V no one came forward to tell the whole story. I was to purchase Diablo 2 days prior. Both cases, no one tells how thier snake was sick and were tryining to force antibiadics down their throat. How many people reading this would like some one to force they mouth open and shove items down theirs? People have a voice and arms to defend themselves. A snake has none of these. Yet this ad condems this snake and others like it. Yes it is tragic but and accident that could of been avoided. Their animals were sick and both knew better than to do this by theirself. Amanda never mentioned hers was sick and other than parents of this victim I bet no one knew this either. If some one is offended by my remark, look at the whole picture and put yourself in the snakes place, it reacted in defense as you or I would. I would like ads and remarks like this one kept off forums for the fact of how they blow everything out of proportion and truth. It doesn't help when a young person wanting to own a pet sees this article.

Registered User singingtothewheat's Avatar
    Thanks

Just one more example of how an owner did not follow the clear safety precautions for handling a large constrictor. On top of that, when you messing with something that is 12 -20 + feet long and you think it's a ok to try to medicate it you making a very large mistake. Now this will be used as ammo against us. I feel very sorry for his family. This stinks.
    singingtothesnakes
    1.1 Normal kids. Well for the most part anyway.
    0.1. Worlds coolest Normal Ball Python (Boo)
    0.1. Mojave Ball Python (Daisy)
    1.0. Pastel Ball Python (Sol)
    1.1. Het. for Axanthic Ball Python (Xan and Xab's)
    1.1. Garden Phase, Amazon Tree Boa's (Jetta & Izzy)
    0.1. Reverse Okeetee Corn Snake (Sarah)
    0.0.1. Gopher Snake (Little Bite)
    The Ghost did not pan out. shoot!

Hopefully by summer I'll be making payments on a 1.1 lesser

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sulawesi View Post
    Hi, it seems I see this ad several places, first off I live in Indiana and quite familiar with this accident. One I raise Retics for pets and not to knock other speices but except for size retics make a good pet. Just like amanda in W.V no one came forward to tell the whole story. I was to purchase Diablo 2 days prior. Both cases, no one tells how thier snake was sick and were tryining to force antibiadics down their throat. How many people reading this would like some one to force they mouth open and shove items down theirs? People have a voice and arms to defend themselves. A snake has none of these. Yet this ad condems this snake and others like it. Yes it is tragic but and accident that could of been avoided. Their animals were sick and both knew better than to do this by theirself. Amanda never mentioned hers was sick and other than parents of this victim I bet no one knew this either. If some one is offended by my remark, look at the whole picture and put yourself in the snakes place, it reacted in defense as you or I would. I would like ads and remarks like this one kept off forums for the fact of how they blow everything out of proportion and truth. It doesn't help when a young person wanting to own a pet sees this article.
    If you're serious about wanting "ads" like this kept off forums, then why resurrect a 3.5 year old thread that was long deeply buried and pull it back to the front page??? And did you even read the thread? Do you know where you're posting? The people on this site are NOT blaming the snake or making such animals out to be the bad guy in tragedies like this. Every one of us here realize the responsibility that the keepers bear in these situations.

I also completely disagree with your statement that such threads as this don't help young people wanting to keep giant snakes as pets. The risks and dangers involved in keeping such animals needs to be known....trying to bury such stories and pretend they don't exist and make like giant snakes "make a good pet except for the size" downplays the risks and puts more young people in danger rather than educating them on how such powerful animals should be kept safely.
    -- Judy

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

771subliminal (01-08-2010),Blu Mongoose (01-08-2010),BOWSER11788 (01-08-2010),Chocolate Muffin's (01-08-2010),Elise.m (01-08-2010),Foschi Exotic Serpents (01-08-2010),Jyson (01-08-2010),MarkS (01-08-2010),Mendel's Balls (01-08-2010),rabernet (01-08-2010),Repsrul (01-08-2010),Shawn (01-09-2010),Stewart_Reptiles (01-08-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Looks like someone just wants trouble.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

joepythons (01-08-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds pretty suspicious to me too. I was all ready to comment on the timing of this when I saw that the date of the original post was September 2006. What exactly was the purpose of dredging this up again from such a long time ago?
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (01-08-2010)

Thanks

sombodies just asking for it
    my 2 cents.
    evern though this is a loooonnng time ago, i feel no remorse for the kid, dumby should of known if he had all that expience that you dont treat a snake that big by yourself, wasted life and thorn to be brought up again

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BOWSER11788 View Post
    sombodies just asking for it
    my 2 cents.
    evern though this is a loooonnng time ago, i feel no remorse for the kid, dumby should of known if he had all that expience that you dont treat a snake that big by yourself, wasted life and thorn to be brought up again
    This was rude and uncalled for, regardless of whether or not someone made a terrible mistake that lead to their death, a loss remain a loss and a very tragic thing for the family, he was someone's son in case you forgot that when insulting him and hopefully you will never have to go through what a parent losing a child goes through (mistake or not)
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

catawhat75 (01-08-2010),Chocolate Muffin's (01-08-2010),Foschi Exotic Serpents (01-08-2010),JLC (01-08-2010),joepythons (01-08-2010),Jyson (01-08-2010),Royal Morphz (01-09-2010),TimmyG (01-09-2010)

Thanks

well i feel bad for his family, but yea, guess im big meanie, thats the same as the idiots driving while texting and getting killed in an accident. oh poor kids, well simple changes, yes it sux for the kid, but IM possitive that wasn't the first known case of a constrictor killing a person, so the kid is bound to have heard of the dangers. mabye its cause im young and don't have kids but this death could of been 99% avoided if at least one other person was there. Guess i'm an extremist when it comes to getting my animals banned. Its differant than th girl in florida, she was young and it was her parents fault cause she didn't know the danger but the sub-adult kid KNEW IT, sorry if i tick'd some people off and I apologize for letting my feeling be known and as stated in prevous post want to know why this so-how go to the top

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast