Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

1 members and 2,839 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Breathing problem?

sometimes when i'm holding my ball pythons they'll make a weird breathing sound when they slide through my hands... sort of like wheezing a little bit? they never make that sound when they are still and they are healthy otherwise. the temps are fine and they're eating...

im thinking maybe they make this noise just because their lungs get compressed a little bit as they slither through my hands. has anyone else experienced this and is it a big deal? as always, any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Thanks

Re: Breathing problem?

When you say temps are fine, what are they at? How are you measuring temps? I would get them to a vet as a precaution and make sure your husbandry is spot on...82-84 cool side, 92-94 on the hot..50%-60% humidity bumped up a bit during shed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    When you say temps are fine, what are they at? How are you measuring temps? I would get them to a vet as a precaution and make sure your husbandry is spot on...82-84 cool side, 92-94 on the hot..50%-60% humidity bumped up a bit during shed.
    my temps are 92-93 on the hot spot and around 80 on the cold spot (measured by a heat gun) and my rack is controlled by a helix. humidity is around 50 because it's so dry where i am but i bump the humidity during a shed.

is "wheezing" always an indication of something being wrong or is it possible that nothing is wrong at all? what will the vet likely tell me if i take them in?

im starting to worry !!! any other advice?

Thanks

Sounds like all is good as far as your husbandry. Are they all doing it? I am not sure what else wheezing could indicate. The vet will likely tell you its the beginnings of a Respiratory Infection and treat them. I would take them in just in case.

Thanks

Likely a respiratory infection as Jamie said. Best to get to the vet sooner rather than later as it is easier to knock the infection out if it's caught earlier.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    Sounds like all is good as far as your husbandry. Are they all doing it? I am not sure what else wheezing could indicate. The vet will likely tell you its the beginnings of a Respiratory Infection and treat them. I would take them in just in case.
    well, we had a girl "wheezing" last week but now she's not doing it anymore when i took her out today. we thought it was the beginning of an RI with her so we bumped temps and added humidity so maybe that did the trick? or should we bring her in too just in case?

then i took out one of my other BPs and he was doing the same thing as the girl was last week. i just went back in there to check temps and it was 92 on the hotspot and 79 on the cool side (ambient temp is 79 in my tubs). i know the cold spot is a little cool but they all have 2 hides so the can thermoregulate while having the comfort of a hide.

should i bring both of them in ASAP or give them some more time with extra heat and humidity? thanks for all the responses so far...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby
    Likely a respiratory infection as Jamie said. Best to get to the vet sooner rather than later as it is easier to knock the infection out if it's caught earlier.
    if it is the beginning signs of an RI, how did they contract them? they have always had good temps and nothing has changed... any ideas how i can prevent this in the future?

Thanks

I would bring them in. Raising the heat doesn't cure an RI but rather just masks the symptoms. I couldn't tell you how they contracted them. Are there drafts in your snake room? Were the snakes subjected to any drafts or any periods of less than ideal temps? Do you have any new snakes?

Thanks

They can get it from other snakes (if you're not strict about quarantine procedures RIs can spread)

Also if they are stressed they are more prone to RIs.

Do your snakes all live in separate cages?

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby
    They can get it from other snakes (if you're not strict about quarantine procedures RIs can spread)

Also if they are stressed they are more prone to RIs.

Do your snakes all live in separate cages?
    we've had a couple of new snakes in the past few months but we always quarantine new ones before putting them into our main rack. every snake also gets their own tub. i have no reason to believe this snake is stressed either...

i guess i'll bring them both in... i've never brought my BPs in because ive never had a problem and, although my vet has some experience in this area, i wouldnt call him an expert. what will he most likely give me (or what SHOULD he most likely give me)? antibiotics? any particular kind?

thanks again for the replies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast