Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,115

0 members and 3,115 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: When is it safe to handle after/before feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    I knew I liked you for a reason!
    Cheap and easy...thats the ticket!

Thanks

We do 48 hours as well, although we also go with the flow. If Cleo has a pretty big meal one week, we may wait an additional day, especially if she's still digesting away in her warm hide (she usually wanders over to her cool hide 48 hours after eating). Carmen spent 4 days in a row in her hide after eating this past time (power digesting!), so we didn't pester her until she ventured out for a slither. =)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Never worry about asking a lot of questions Mina, that's what BPNet is here for. I think it's wonderful to hear of a good pet store that is letting you come in to feed your BP prior to purchase so you can see how it's done and also confirm that this is a snake with a good feeding response.

Our usual routine here is to feed on Thursday evening after dusk, so Monday through Wednesday we handle the snakes for short periods in the evening hours as well as do their normal caging husbandry every morning. Thursday is different...on purpose. That day I open the tubs in the morning hours, quickly check for defecates or urates, add fresh water in their bowls and leave them be. The next time the tub opens they all know it's rat time! They seem to get to know the routine after only a few weeks. Then they are left alone for Friday and Saturday other than to the usual daily cage check and water changes. If they've had a feeding change as far as prey size or number we give them an extra day of hands off....if not then Sunday everyone is out for some quiet handling time. Basically 4 out of 7 days we can handle...3 we leave them be. Just our schedule, certainly not the only way to do it LOL.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Usually what I do is, I feed all my snakes on Sunday at noon. I put them in their own feeding box, let them eat, gently pick up their box, place in their tanks, open the lil gate I made for them to slither out so that means I wont have to touch them, and they usually slither out into their lil cave. I usually wait until I see them come out from their caves which is usually atleast 48 hours later. Even then, I'm VERY careful with handling, just in case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12