Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,807

2 members and 2,805 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Wacky co-worker.

So, at work, there's this somewhat new kid. He's a little strange, and people apparently call him "snake." So as curious as I am, I ask him why people call him this. He replies, "I like snakes." So instantly my mood changes and finally i can have a good conversation at work. YAY.

So he tells me he has a python. He said it's around 8 feet long. Burmise i'm sure. I asked him what he keeps it in, and he replies...."my room."

He keeps his 8 foot burm in his room. So I ask him how's the snake alive without heat and such, and he says he has heatlamps all over his room and he uses his room as an incubater. I'm pretty much thinking this kid's nuts by now.

But as this isn't enough, he tells me he has two corn snakes crawling around his room as well, and a water maccosin in a tank in his room.

This kid's crazy enough to do this too. He told me the snake comes up on his bed with him, crawls on top of him and sleeps with him. Nuts...

I'm not too sure what to think of this kid, but thats some weird husbandry right there!
    1.1 Ball Pythons, Cyrus, Gem

Thanks

Re: Wacky co-worker.

I would have to say that's downright reckless...there is a very good chance that he could get injured, not to mention that he's creating an unsanitary living environment for himself because I'm sure if the snake goes wherever he wants it also poops wherever it wants. Sounds like he needs to earn his nickname by upping his husbandry skills.

Just my two cents.

Jason
    Jason

Thanks

Sorry but this sort of thing is why communities end up making snake laws that affect everybody's right to have a snake. Leaving a burmese loose is nuts...no nice polite way to say it. It's wrong for the snake, it's wrong for this kid and if something happens....it hits the news and the community freaks and passes new and more restrictive laws. It tars every snake owner with a bad brush...makes us all look like wierdo's and it just makes me a bit nuts (so sorry about the venting here folks).

The general community doesn't know a Burmese Python from a Royal Python from a cornsnake. There are places where corns are outlawed simply because they are classed in that community as a "constrictor". Good lordy but what can a cornsnake, even an adult one, do to be a danger to the community at large? Responsible snake ownership is about caring for your snake, providing for it properly and being ultimately responsible to the rest of us so we don't suffer for your stupidity! ("your" being used in a general way, not specifically at any poster in this thread)

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I really hate to say this, but I'd call animal control or whatever you've got and report him. I know that won't be the popular answer, but if he's that reckless, AND he's keeping a water mocassin! not to mention the python, this guy is an accident waiting to happen. I say call animal control NOW before that accident happens, you may save his life, and avoid a lot of negative publicity in the future. Is it even legal to own hots where you live? Does he have a license to keep one? Like I said, I know that won't be the popular answer, but I think its the only responsible one.

Thanks

I haven't researched it, but I think he told me it was legal to have the mocassin. He told me he caught the thing.

I feel pretty bad for the burm, there's no way his room could be the proper temperatures, not to mention how stressed out it probably is.

Meh, i'm not sure what i'm going to do. The kid's a bit weird if you know what i mean, nothing wrong with his 13th chromosome, but he's just a little strange....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'd take anything he said with a grain of salt. And the fact that he "caught" it means nothing. I can go out in the hills here and catch rattlesnakes all day long, doesn't mean I can keep them.

Again, I don't know what the laws in your area are, but call A.C. and tell them he's keeping a venomous snake, they'd send someone out for that I'm pretty sure.

Thanks

That lad sounds a tad strange.
    I have heard and seen folks who convert whole rooms into enclosures for very large snakes but they do not live in there with them.
    I hope he is a rather large bloak or he may end up dead when that Burm gets over the 10' size. As the snake couldn't eat him he may still strike and constrict on him.

I think I would have to see that before I took to much stock in what he is saying. He could just be running a line of you know what
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

i know it sucks when something comes to your attention and then others tell you to "do something about it" - it's no different than when you find out a kid is being abused... sometimes we don't want to get involved - but we need to.

perhaps you could get yourself an invite to see the situation for yourself?
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Recycling goddess, thats what i was thinking. If i can spare some time i might go check it out. I just can't visually make out what his room would even look like...

I just remembered another thing he told me, he said the burm has tried to constrict him a few times accually. He said he was sitting on his bed and all the sudden it wrapped around his neck and he said that it took a while for him to get the snake off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roundabout136
    I just remembered another thing he told me, he said the burm has tried to constrict him a few times accually. He said he was sitting on his bed and all the sudden it wrapped around his neck and he said that it took a while for him to get the snake off.
    You would think the guy would say to himself, "hmm, maybe I should get this guy a cage" at that point...
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast