Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,014

2 members and 3,012 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

AP T8 Sufficient?

Hello Everyone,

I purchased an Albino Red Tail Boa two years ago (don't know his age at the time but he was fairly small) who is currently right around 4ft in length as of two days ago, he has been sitting in a 30 gallon aquarium since i bought him then. I just think its time for an upgrade for him, and i want to get him out of glass into something easier to maintain. Would an AP T8 be an appropriate sized final enclosure for him or would a future upgrade be required?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: AP T8 Sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by jdmwoody View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I purchased an Albino Red Tail Boa two years ago (don't know his age at the time but he was fairly small) who is currently right around 4ft in length as of two days ago, he has been sitting in a 30 gallon aquarium since i bought him then. I just think its time for an upgrade for him, and i want to get him out of glass into something easier to maintain. Would an AP T8 be an appropriate sized final enclosure for him or would a future upgrade be required?
    Without knowing age or genetic background it's hard to say. If he is 2-4 years old, his growth will certainly slow.

I would personally go a bit larger. I think something 18" tall would be good and you could keep the 48" footprint and go 30" deep.

A T-8 is doable, but having an active BC is worth a bit of extra $$$.

They will display a wider range of natural behaviors when given options.
    Last edited by Gio; 09-28-2016 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks

I think my only gripe there would be that a AP T11 48x24x18 costs over double the T8 with sliding glass option... I already planned on buying an additional T8 and dividing it for my two ball pythons. So turning a $300 purchase (only cages) into a $480 purchase i might as well just buy 3 AP T8s and giving one to each snake.

I do understand what you mean about natural behaviors and viewing purposes, my boa as of now spends 80% of the time in his hides which makes me think the extra $180 for 6 more inches of roof clearance wouldn't really be worth it? I may be wrong and missing something here but i want to thank you for posting ^.^

Thanks
    I'd pay for it but that's just my opinion.

48" x 30" x 20". I wish it was 24" tall minimum.

I even have our royal in a 48" x 24" x 14".

It's all up to you, but boas are semi arboreal and normally will use whatever space you give them.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I would go with a T10. I got all my gals in T10s with a shelf and it works fine. If after a couple years, the T10 gets small, you can always upgrade to a T25 which is what I probably will do in a couple years and then just use the T10s for something else. I have both Constrictor NW and Animal Plastic cages and I personally like the AP cages much better. They are all smoothed out around the corners and the shelf is nice and they are built very solid. They only downside is they are heavier but again, I like then a lot more. Plus the door opening on the T10s is just over 10" while the 48x24x14 Constrictor NW cage is only 8". That 2" makes a huge difference in getting my big gal out without banging her on the door opening, plus like I said, the AP ones are all smoothed an finished on the door openings. Like Gio said, without genetics, who knows but if you ask most breeders, a lot keep them in T10s with shelves. Its the biggest you can go without a huge upsize in shipping cost. For example, the T25 will cost me $229.00 shipping vs $50.00 for a T10.

Oh also forgot, be prepared for a 3+ month wait for cages lol. I waited 13 weeks for my 3 AP10s I ordered over the summer. That's the only downside, otherwise the cages are really nice and Ali is awesome to deal with. I will definitely be getting all my cages from AP from now on
    Last edited by Sauzo; 09-29-2016 at 12:13 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I would go with a T10. I got all my gals in T10s with a shelf and it works fine.
    What do you use to heat and regulate your T10s?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I use flexwatt with Herpstats. I just ordered all my T10s with shelves, locks, flexwatt and white LED lighting. I just wanted a plug and play unit and not have to drill and route wiring since I stacked my cages. I keep my house around 75-78F so its plenty warm ambientwise. I use a Pro Products PH3 65 watt RHP for my Constrictors NW cage but atm that cage is empty and I am probably going to just throw it up on my local craigslist and sell it and just order a couple more AP cages.

Also some snakes are just more active than others. My big girl Rosey ALWAYS wants to explore around the house. She really only likes the cage when she wants to sleep lol. Vicky is more laid back and mostly just sits stetched out on the cage floor or up on the shelf recently. I would definitely get a shelf though as its only $30 extra and it is nicely made. Its about 8" wide and extends across the whole back of the cage. It serves as a perch as well as a "hide" as my boas seem to like to curl up under it and not even use hides. Heck even my BP loves the shelf. She loves it more than my boas I think as she is usually crawling around on it nightly. She is the arboreal BP lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

I've got my boa in a T13 with a shelf. It's a great enclosure with a decent bit of space. They're on sale right now, as well. Then again, so is the T10. I think the extra height and width is worth the money, because it also allows to add bars, or other platforms which increases surface area within the enclosure. But it's entirely up to you. Your boy is on the smaller end of the scale, so you may or may not need to upgrade in the future.

As for heating, I have 9 PVC enclosures, most of them from AP, and I have proheat radiant heat panels in every one of them. They are the best heat source I've found, and I can't say enough good things about them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Pythons:
    1.0 '15 Pastel BP "Nero"
    0.1 '15 VPI Axanthic BP "Zoe"
    1.0 Normal BP "Dmitri"
    1.0 '16 Spinner Blast BP "Dizzy"
    0.1 '15 Carpet Python "Isabel"
    0.1 '15 Tiger Jag Carpet "Lily"
    0.1 '16 Coastal Carpet "Aria"
    1.0 '15 Axanthic Carpet "Xander"
    Boas:
    0.1 '16 Red Line Hypo BCI "Sophia"
    0.1 '16 Colombian BCI "Sonia"
    0.1 '16 Amazon Tree Boa "Athena"
    Colubrids:
    0.1 Albino Corn "Ezra"
    1.0 '16 Normal Corn "Loki"
    0.1 '16 Axanthic Hognose "Mira"
    0.1 '15 African House Snake "Nyah"
    Other:
    1.1 Bearded Dragons "Ruth" "Mushu"
    0.3 Leopard Geckos "Ophelia" "Amelia" "Daisy"
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko "Jinx"
    2.2 Cats "Wesley" "Leo" "Smoke" "Squishy"
    0.0.1 Grammostola rosea "Rose"
    0.0.1 Grammostola pulchripes
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
    1.0 Boyfriend "Louis"

Thanks
    Good advice above. I think I'd just go with the largest you can afford. It will certainly not be a negative having a larger unit.

This will be the next cage manufacturer I buy from.

Pre-built and STRONG. You can stand on the top of these.

Of course I would drive to go pick mine up and save huge $$ on shipping.

https://www.facebook.com/monstercage...1&l=52a8bcb389

Ultimately the decision is yours. Some folks keep boas in tubs.

If you are a breeder and need efficiency and space, go that route.

If you actually want to enjoy your animal, provide the appropriate size for it and you probably will see some interesting behaviors.

I think Sauzo is right on with the T-10 and a shelf. T-13,,,, even better IMO.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (09-30-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I'd pay for it but that's just my opinion.

48" x 30" x 20". I wish it was 24" tall minimum.

I even have our royal in a 48" x 24" x 14".

It's all up to you, but boas are semi arboreal and normally will use whatever space you give them.
    That set up is awesome I just got a couple of boas and was looking into animal plastics for at least the male, who's about 5' long, do you have any more pics of your set up. I would love to do something like this for my boy and the girl eventually.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast