Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

2 members and 3,158 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Spider gene lineage

Hi fellow members

Hopefully you guys can assist me with the following.
    A lot has been discussed about the neurological disorders in spiders but I have recently seen some claims that a spider sire or dam can pass on this disorder to their non spider offspring and so on. As I have never bred a spider and I'm in the process of acquiring my first 4 gene male (Banana Leopard Enchi spider), I'm wondering if any experienced breeders can share their findings regarding neurological disorders showing up generations later in none spiders which had the spider gene in their lineage?

Thanks in advance,

Registered User dissolvetheair23's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Spider gene lineage

Quote Originally Posted by mdb730 View Post
    Hi fellow members

Hopefully you guys can assist me with the following.
    A lot has been discussed about the neurological disorders in spiders but I have recently seen some claims that a spider sire or dam can pass on this disorder to their non spider offspring and so on. As I have never bred a spider and I'm in the process of acquiring my first 4 gene male (Banana Leopard Enchi spider), I'm wondering if any experienced breeders can share their findings regarding neurological disorders showing up generations later in none spiders which had the spider gene in their lineage?

Thanks in advance,
    Yeah i think its pretty much a genetic disorder with all spiders. Since the first spiders were imported and thus came forth the li eage of the spider gene with the genetic defect which was passed along to its offspring. Some have it worse some have almost no signs of the fenetic disorder.
    Last edited by dissolvetheair23; 09-28-2016 at 10:25 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dissolvetheair23 View Post
    Yeah i think its pretty much a genetic disorder with all spiders. Since the first spiders were imported and thus came forth the li eage of the spider gene with the genetic defect which was passed along to its offspring. Some have it worse some have almost no signs of the fenetic disorder.
    Yes I know about the neurological disorder being present in spiders in one form or another, my question relates to a BP that isn't a spider but has a spider somewhere in their pedigree.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    I believe that the neuro issue and the spider gene are connected and only passed together. If snakes that simply have spider in there lineage could develop wobble as well then I think there would be a lot of non spiders out there with wobble and for the most part there really isn't. I've heard of it now and then from non spiders but not to the degree that I think we'd find it considering how popular spiders are.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (09-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Spider is a dominant trait. This means that unless the animal in front of you is a Spider or Spider combo, it does not carry any part of the Spider gene (nor any of the quirks that come with it). For this reason, lineage is irrelevant - it's either there or its not. If lineage were relevant, there would be a way to successfully separate the Spider trait from the associated behavior. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Could you provide more info on the claims you've seen? Are they keyboard warrior claims or are they supported? My guess is the first, but I'm eternally curious. If they are supported claims, by who and what relevant evidence/documentation do they have? Thanks!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

nchernandez44 (09-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 845 Posts
    I've produced 100s of spiders and I've never seen a non-spider sibling wobble.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Green For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (09-28-2016),Stewart_Reptiles (09-30-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Green View Post
    I've produced 100s of spiders and I've never seen a non-spider sibling wobble.
    Ditto, I cannot see basis to the claim about non-Spider siblings...have never seen it and I, like Dave, have produced quite a few Spider clutches.
    Cory

Bradford Cole, Inc.
    Specializing in Rare Ball Pythons Since 1997

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Could you provide more info on the claims you've seen? Are they keyboard warrior claims or are they supported? My guess is the first, but I'm eternally curious. If they are supported claims, by who and what relevant evidence/documentation do they have? Thanks!
    I saw it this morning on KS dot com ads. See ads for FireFly Clown and Pastel Enchi Het Clown.
    Cory

Bradford Cole, Inc.
    Specializing in Rare Ball Pythons Since 1997

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bradford Cole View Post
    I saw it this morning on KS dot com ads. See ads for FireFly Clown and Pastel Enchi Het Clown.
    Thank you. That disclaimer does ring a bell - I think I've seen it on his ads before. I wonder if he's receptive to sharing via email or if he only wants to talk about it over the phone.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I saw this ad on fauna and the poster seemed very adamant concerning the neuro issue and as I never heard of it I thought it might be worth a discussion. I have reached out to him to see if he can share his findings, hopefully he is willing to communicate via email and share his thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast