Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,719

3 members and 2,716 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts

Had a record 19 babies from a mouse!

Believe it or not but most of my mouse colony came from PetSmart's fancy mice. They have been doing pretty good... For awhile I was getting feeders from a smaller local pet store that sold white feeder mice and I kept a few back as breeders. It's those white mice that cranked out a whopping 19 babies in one litter! Here's a few photos, the top one is the 19 new babies, the next photos is the parents, and the bottom photo is a fancy mouse from PetSmart, she is fully mature and only had 9 babies. Now I'm in the process of raising up all white babies and replacing all my fancy mice with these super breeders!!!

Last edited by cchardwick; 09-10-2016 at 12:36 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-10-2016),AlexisFitzy (09-11-2016),Fraido (09-11-2016),wolfy-hound (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Had a record 19 babies from a mouse!

Nice job! I started a small breeding project with mice also. I used to get my live hopper mice and fuzzy rats from a breeder. Along with the pinky rats it was getting kind of pricey. I needed the mice and rats for my hatchlings and also for my male pied who is a live mouser. I bought two female mice from Petco and already had held back a male mouse from petland. Needless to say I have had a steady flow of mice for all. Recently one of the females had a 12 pinky litter. Should have done this a long time ago.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    People who breed feeders want the biggest litters they can get from healthy females. So they are more likely to hold back females who give huge litters. Pet breeders focus on the look and color more than the litter size.

Both should be focused on the health, of course, but a pet breeder often doesn't even want large litters.

I get the best litters from rats from feeder sources, although I haven't needed to add in outside stock for a long time now. I've got my colony culled to the traits I want, although I'm refining them to the cream of the crop AND the biggest litters now.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts
    I had 19 in a litter once was a liver and white mouse for me
    great going tho i enjoy big litters my rat colony i have females all from the same line cause they throw 12-15 per litter helps when you are breeding feeders
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    My biggest rat litter was 16, although I don't count most times. I isually cull the baby mice by feeding them to my smaller King snakes to thin them out before they get too big, still quite a few runts even after a week or two, mom can't really keep up with 19 babies! I can also move some to other females in a pinch.

Thanks
    Congrats!!!

Not mice but my black eyed siamese rat dropped 18 babies last week! Her first litter too. She hasn't lost any yet either! I've been pulling some pups a few times a day to let the runts nurse. I'll have to hold back a girl or two from this litter, hopefully large litter sizes will run in the family!
    My Collection:
    0.2 Normal Het Pied - 0.1 Lesser - 1.0 Pastel Het Pied -1.0 Mojave Het Lavender Albino 1.0 Low White Pied