Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,970

1 members and 2,969 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy justified blame for "killing" friends young ball python?

Ok so this the semi short story. Roommate bought a ball python about 2 months ago from Petsmart. He (for convince) was about 12 inches long and refusedto eat. He was being offered thawed pinkie. My roommate brought the snake to the vet who force fed the snake. Now I didn't go with roommate but supposedly roommate was told to keep trying to feed the snake every other day. Now to me that sounds like a lot of stress on the baby BP. Also was supposedly told to force feed by giving 1ml of this paste that looked like pancake batter.

Now my roommates took a vacation and had a friend stop by every other to "feed the snake". Since I hate seeing an animal suffer, I looked up everything I could on feeding. The pinkie were the right size if not a bit small.

Now I know I am in the wrong for messing with another persons pet but I felt like I had to try something.

The next time their friend came over I recommended I try "force" feeding a warmed up pinkie.
    I had watched videos and read few breeder's guides and a few mentioned that some young BP don't know the pinkie is food. also the videos showed techniques. I gently held the snake while I "booped" hit nose GENTLY. Third boop he opened his mouth and I plopped the pinkie in. I did not force it down, nor did I force his mouth open with anything.
    Well He move around a bit then settled down, pinkie still in mouth. After about 3 mins he started to work the mouse down and soon it was swallowed.

Fast forward 3 days and the snake was still alive and active when held briefly.
    Now fast forward 4 more days and my roommate says the snake is dead and it's my fault. First she said that the snake must of had a blockage and the pinkie killed it. 2 days later she is now telling me the BP had symptoms of a broken neck or jaw and that it was my rough handling that killed it. Now I know human medicine better but I doubt a snake with a broken neck or jaw would be as active when being held or let to explore (an arm and lap that is)
    Now again I know the feeding without permission from the owner was incredibly wrong and was done with the best intentions. Also yes I know what they say about good intentions. I feel horrible that the snake died

What I want to know is if any of that sounds like I directly killed the snake, that my actions had a good chance in causing the snakes death or that the feeding and the snakes death happens to coincide. Also your opinion on the actual cause of death.
    I feel guilty but being told "you killed my snake by breaking it's neck" is a bit harsh

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Don't know what you are expecting?
    Without taking the animal to a vet for a necropsy you will never know.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (08-24-2016),PokeyTheNinja (08-24-2016),wolfy-hound (08-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I'm assuming what you want is a thread to show your roommate and say "I told you so" but none of us were there and we are only getting one side of the story.

99% of the time, snakes do not need to be force fed when people think they do. They need security and correct husbandry. So if you want my thoughts, all parties involved didn't take proper action, even the vet. But I am only judging that on what I am reading, I wasn't there to witness anything.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-24-2016),Ashley96 (08-24-2016),Dezoruba (08-24-2016),PappyG (08-24-2016),PokeyTheNinja (08-24-2016),wolfy-hound (08-25-2016)

Thanks

Re: justified blame for "killing" friends young ball python?

Feeding an animal that is trying to adjust to its new environment that often is only going to stress it out more and make it not want to eat. Whether this stress killed it or a broken neck is not the biggest issue. Not leaving the animal alone and allowing it to settle did it no favors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please don't hesitate to give me tips!

1.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.1 Bumblebee Ball Python
    1.0 Ppinner Pos Mojave Ball Python
    0.1 Cinnabee Ball Python
    1.0 Super Fire Ball Python
    0.1 Banana Ball Python
    0.1 Het Kahl Albino Boa
    0.1 California King Snake WT

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheosamad For This Useful Post:

Ashley96 (08-24-2016),Dezoruba (08-24-2016),PokeyTheNinja (08-24-2016)

Thanks

Just wanted to know if anybody had any insight. Like if the snake would have lasted that long with a broken neck or shouldn't have a broken jaw from that feeding. Or of couse a ' yup snake probably constipated, that pinkie must have done it"
    Again I feel horrible. Just would like insight on what probably/possibly went wrong.

Thanks

I don't want to go ha see to the roommate. I just want some insight on what probably went wrong. The every other day feeding attempt I'm sure didn't do any favors. Neither did the stress from "force" feeding.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoovendetta View Post
    I don't want to go ha see to the roommate. I just want some insight on what probably went wrong. The every other day feeding attempt I'm sure didn't do any favors. Neither did the stress from "force" feeding.
    Then it's time for a necropsy otherwise you'll never know for sure what the cause of death was.
    Please don't hesitate to give me tips!

1.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.1 Bumblebee Ball Python
    1.0 Ppinner Pos Mojave Ball Python
    0.1 Cinnabee Ball Python
    1.0 Super Fire Ball Python
    0.1 Banana Ball Python
    0.1 Het Kahl Albino Boa
    0.1 California King Snake WT

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheosamad For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (08-24-2016),PokeyTheNinja (08-24-2016)

Thanks

Honestly I'd say your both to blame. Sounds like you did zero research before purchasing this animal because if you did you'd know one of the first basic rules is to never handle a new snake until it's eaten at least two meals. Snakes aren't stupid and know what food is BUT they also will not eat until they are comfortable in their surroundings. Ball pythons are a reclusive animal that spends 90% of their time hiding, their shy and are easily stressed by constant handling. Force or assisted feeding is something only an expert should ever attempt. I've had ball pythons going on two years now and no way do I feel I'm qualified or knowledgable enough to attempt it.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Smitty33 For This Useful Post:

Ashley96 (08-24-2016),Dezoruba (08-24-2016),LightningPython (08-25-2016),PappyG (08-24-2016),PokeyTheNinja (08-24-2016),tattoovendetta (08-24-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheosamad View Post
    Then it's time for a necropsy otherwise you'll never know for sure what the cause of death was.
    This. Now that said...
    - If this critter was sold by PetSmart it likely wasn't in the best of health to begin with. We don't know if it was eating well when they purchased it.
    - We do not know if the snake was set up correctly, especially for heat and humidity. We don't know if the snake wasn't eating because it was stressed, because it hadn't been well started, or because it was too cold. If your roommate bought the equipment based on the recommendation on the PetSmart employee it likely was not in a good setup.
    - The snake hadn't eaten in two months.

Given all of that I very much doubt that the OP's assist feeding killed the snake. Assist feeding is recommended as a last resort but I've had a few breeders suggest sometimes people wait too long, and they wait so long that the critter is debilitated to the point that it physically can't digest the meal. This may have been such a case.
    At any rate OP I doubt that you broke the snake's neck if it survived for several days after you fed it.

The pancake batter paste may have been Carnivore Care, which is often tube fed to a severely malnourished reptile.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-24-2016),Ba11er (08-24-2016),DarthSlitherus (08-24-2016),Fraido (08-24-2016),PokeyTheNinja (08-24-2016),tattoovendetta (08-24-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here is the issue you can only have an hatchling not eating and being force-fed for so long before the animal finally dies, repetitive force feedings are very stressful, that combined with the nearly non existant nutritional value of pinkies is enough to kill a BP.

Your roommate should have done more research on how to get an animal to eat, the vet was not the solution and is obviously not experienced with herps and BP in particular, the friend who suggested force feeding is also lacking the experience, so if someone want to put blame on someone else than everyone is to blame.

When people buy a new BP if they have limited experience they usually all have the same issue of their animal not wanting to eat for them and in 99% of the cases it is husbandry related which does not require any force feeding.

Force feeding should be something done as a last resort and is only usually done with animals that will not eat out of the egg even than assisting is always tried first.

My advice before anyone rush to buy another snake, do so research on how to properly setup an hatchling and get him to eat.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-24-2016 at 06:08 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (08-24-2016),Alicia (08-24-2016),Ashley96 (08-24-2016),bcr229 (08-24-2016),DarthSlitherus (08-24-2016),Dezoruba (08-24-2016),PokeyTheNinja (08-24-2016),Rikoku (08-24-2016),tattoovendetta (08-24-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast