Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,599

1 members and 1,598 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Incubator. Good enough or not?

On a recent post a few days ago we were discussing incubators, how to make one, which ones to buy, not to buy, etc. Going based off of the DIY styrofoam cooler incubator, I threw this demo together. I put a good tube heater in the bottom (we discussed them bot being too good if theyre cheap etc) I put a plastic sub-bottom in, lifted over the water that the 6qt egg tub sits on. If I put the eggs on minerals (cant remember the name right now of the mineral rocks), put a lid on the 6qt tub and a lid on the tank with thermometer inside.

All that being said, would this make a decent incubator? If it will work, please give me some tips. If it wont work please let me know. Thank you!

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    Takes don't hold heat well so I wouldn't trust it to stay a constant temp without the top getting cooler or drafty.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (08-24-2016)

Thanks
    i would get a good thermometer / hydrometer to keep inside the tank and egg tub. If the tube heater is hooked up to a thermostat this might work but definitely insulate the tank with cardboard or Styrofoam to help prevent temperature fluctuations.

Thanks
    Ok. I'll see what I can insulate with. I still have a long way to go before I need it, just want to make sure Im ready when I need it

Thanks
    if I were making an incabator. I would use a cooler with heat tape and a theromstat. That fish tank will not keep your temps constant. It takes to much work and time to get eggs to lose them to a cheap incubator. I'm Not being rude, just trying to help. There are other ways of doing this which will give you better results.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerhawk For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (08-24-2016)

Thanks
    I was actually going to buy one but the one I found everyone is giving bad reviews on. I would prefer to just buy one in hopes of better guaranteeing a good clutch but 1: so far no one has pointed me in the direction of a decent one and 2: if I have everything here already to make one that will work, why buy one... Would you build or buy an incubator if this were your first time breeding?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Incubator. Good enough or not?

Quote Originally Posted by MontyP2016 View Post
    I was actually going to buy one but the one I found everyone is giving bad reviews on. I would prefer to just buy one in hopes of better guaranteeing a good clutch but 1: so far no one has pointed me in the direction of a decent one and 2: if I have everything here already to make one that will work, why buy one... Would you build or buy an incubator if this were your first time breeding?
    Yes been there done that as posted in the other thread. My first season I built a incubator out of a cooler.

All you need is a cheap cooler and again the most important piece of equipment will be a RELIABLE thermostat, for the rest there are great DIY on this forum.

Now if you want to buy a GOOD incubator not one that is so small you cannot even fit a 6 quart tub in it or one with an internal T-Stat that cannot be fully trusted, you will have to invest some money and it will be a lot more pricey than building one, in that case look at Nature Spirit Incubators and Hotbox incubators by C-Serpent

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-24-2016)

Thanks
    I also went with a cooler and would recommend going that direction. Already had a spare Herpstat, UTH, and power cord (for plugging in the UTH inside the cooler). Even a little wire basket to elevate the egg tub was just lying around the house. The little drain thingy is perfect for running wires through. Inexpensive, worked extremely well. Still does, actually

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Thanks
    Yep, that post actually made me think of using the 10 gallon tank since I have everything here already. If I can insulate it and use what I have, great. But if 9 out of 10 people say I'll have problems with it, I would rather just use a cooler or spend the money on a good one. I am going to check them out now, the C serpant ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast