Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,583

1 members and 1,582 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts

Some photos of my new albino dwarf reticulated python!

Just got my new snake last Wednesday, she is a 50% Jampea 50% Mainland albino (Clark strain) reticulated python. She shed just after I got her, then ate a medium rat and two large mice all in about an hour, seemed like she could have handled several more medium rats and seemed eager to eat more but I don't think I'll power feed this girl. It's only been a few days since I got her and decided to take a few photos of her before she gets huge LOL! Right now she is about six months old, probably about four and a half feet long.

This is an absolutely amazing snake, very friendly with no aggression at all! I'm planning on handling her for at least a few minutes every 1-2 days to tame her down. She seems like she is a bottomless pit and would probably eat my shoe if I threw it in the tub LOLOL! We decided to name her 'Lucy'. You can almost see the bulge in her from the rat, didn't want to handle her too much since it's only been a day since she has eaten, but wanted to share her with everyone! ENJOY!!

Last edited by cchardwick; 08-07-2016 at 09:30 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-15-2016),AlexisFitzy (08-07-2016),Ba11er (08-08-2016),Brent857 (08-07-2016),EDR (08-22-2016),Fazer72110 (08-07-2016),Fraido (08-07-2016),Gio (10-15-2016),Megg (08-17-2016),redshepherd (08-15-2016)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Re: Some photos of my new albino dwarf reticulated python!

Man that is a gorgeous albino!! The colors are so intense!! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    Name her Peep, she had a row of peeps down her back!

Thanks

I had her out again today and let her crawl all over the place. I'm trying really hard to keep at least one hand on her at all times when she is out of the cage so she doesn't switch over to hunting mode, seems like it's working really good. We are starting to build confidence in each other and now I'm not afraid she will bite me when her head is on my arm. After about 10 or 15 minutes she starts speeding up a bit and I know it's time to put her back in her tub. Tonight I tried to put her back in the tub and she didn't want to go, so I kept her out for another five or ten minutes, then she started moving faster, maybe getting a bit stressed? And then she was ready to go back in the tub LOL. I'm guessing if I keep working with her she will want to stay out longer and longer. Our routine is that I feed her, then give her two days to digest, then handle her on the third day.

So far in the last 1.5 weeks I've fed her three medium rats and two adult mice. She didn't go to the bathroom (other than pee) and I just weighed her, she is coming in at 1027 grams (weight taken on 12-Aug-2016). The rats I've been feeding her are about 2x - 3x wider than she is and she still pounds them down. She has a bump from the rat the day after feeding and then by the second day she looks skinny again. She seemed really too thin for her length so I'm trying to fatten her up a bit, then I'll slow down the feeding. I'm going to feed another medium rat tomorrow, then will probably slow down to 2x a week instead of 3x. I plan on posting updates to this thread as my retic grows and post weights so you can track the progress of her.

Here's another bizarre thing that is happening... Before I got my reticulated python I would handle my Australian Woma python twice a day for about five minutes per day. Once I started cleaning up the rack I could see the woma in the tub window practically begging to get out and be handled. The first day I got my retic the woma saw that snake in my hands and he has totally changed. Now the woma doesn't even want to come out. I open up the tub and he just sits there all coiled up. Can snakes get jealous? I still open up the tub twice a day but he refuses to come out to play, never knew a snake could get jealous but as far as I can tell it's happening!!
    Last edited by cchardwick; 08-13-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post

Here's another bizarre thing that is happening... Before I got my reticulated python I would handle my Australian Woma python twice a day for about five minutes per day. Once I started cleaning up the rack I could see the woma in the tub window practically begging to get out and be handled. The first day I got my retic the woma saw that snake in my hands and he has totally changed. Now the woma doesn't even want to come out. I open up the tub and he just sits there all coiled up. Can snakes get jealous? I still open up the tub twice a day but he refuses to come out to play, never knew a snake could get jealous but as far as I can tell it's happening!!
    snake are incapable of showing jealousy. Any reclusion from normal behavior for the woma is likely environmental - stress from new smells, change in environment, on coming shed, etc. Cheers
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-13-2016),Gio (10-15-2016)

Thanks
    Here's a video of Lucy eating a frozen thawed rat. Enjoy!

Thanks

Wastes no time! Love her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Yea, most times she doesn't even hesitate for more than a few seconds. I had a couple left over frozen thawed adult mice that I gave her right after the rat, my ball pythons are so picky, they usually only want live rat pups. The first mouse she snapped up just like the rat. I guess I gave her the second one too soon, she still hadn't eaten the first mouse and the funny thing is she was very gentle when she took the second mouse, just kind of slowly wrapped her lips around it LOL. I guess if you feed them a lot real fast the feeding response becomes much more gentle. I can't wait until she gets twice as big HA!

Thanks
    I took out Lucy today and brought her up to the living room. I put her on the back of my leather couch in front of the fish tank and she just sat there for about 10 minutes totally motionless while we watched her and took a bunch of photos, it was pretty wild! I've never seen a snake just sit still, I was wondering if we were watching her or if she was watching us LOL.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Fraido (08-17-2016),GoingPostal (08-16-2016),Megg (08-17-2016)

Thanks
    She decided to crawl along the back of the couch at the end of our photo shoot. This video gives you an idea of how big she is already. The fish tank in the background is a 125 gallon six foot long African cichlid aquarium. I think she grew a foot in the last couple weeks after eating several rats and several adult mice!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast