Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,671

3 members and 2,668 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Active after meal?

So its my first bp so I'm not sure what to think about it. About an hour ago I fed my python a baby rat, I got him on Thursday, thought I'd wait a week but he was very nervous last night always searching for food when it got dark (was hiding all day) so I thought why not, so I decided to buy a baby rat today and moved him into a different box to feed (I like this method better ) he didn't hesitate and didn't miss, swallowed the rat in less than 10mins , but he seemed to be still in that 'attack' pose like he was expecting another rat to be thrown in the box, he climbed out and I placed the box into his box so he could climb into it, he did and went straight into his hide, a couple of mins he climbed out and was very active not pacing fast but simply exploring, so I turned off his heating pad (its been around 35degrees here all day thought that made him nervous) but he's still climbing all over his box, like yesterday but I took him out yesterday and he was super calm when he could sit on my head, so I kept the heating pad off all night and turned it on in the morning and he slept all day again.

So is it normal for him to be like this active after feeding? His box isn't overheating or anything (I got a heating pad from fenix) could he just still be hungry? Should I try feeding in 4-5 days again?

Thanks

Re: Active after meal?

Is your heating pad regulated by a thermostat at all? If not then it should be turned off until you are able to regulate it. As for the moving, it is fairly normal for a ball to remain in "feeding mode" for a day or so after a feeding. Also you don't need to move them to a different enclosure to feed, though I did do that with mine for a while. You should be fine to feed in 5 days, just make sure the prey is a little bit larger that the largest part of your baby for appropriate meal sizing.
    Last edited by gaitedappy; 07-24-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks
    If husbandry is correct, then I wouldn't worry. My ball python does that, and I have been informed that it is perfectly normal and sometimes it helps them "get the food in the right place". Other people please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still pretty new around here.

Registered User SiXandSeven8ths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sometimes mine moves around after feeding or within a few hours after feeding. Usually not for long. Then he hides out for about 5 days or so until he comes out to poop. Then try feeding again. Cycle continues.