Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

3 members and 3,233 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

Burmese and retic growth rate/caging

Which usually grows faster, burms or retics? Approximately how long would it take either of them to outgrow a 4longx2tallx2deep?

I have experience with boas and I'd like a larger snake but I won't have room for anything larger than maybe a 6x2x2 for about 2 years until I move in with my boyfriend but I know I have room for a 4x2x2. I'm interested in one but of course if they'll outgrow it within that time I'll just wait and just get a boa perhaps until I have the space.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    My two year old 100% mainland female is too big for a 48"x30", she would need a six foot enclosure at least (I have her in an 8 footer).

I have two 50% SD females the same age who are fine in the 48"x30" size enclosure.

If you want a retic that will stay on the smaller side get a high-percentage SD.

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Re: Burmese and retic growth rate/caging

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    My two year old 100% mainland female is too big for a 48"x30", she would need a six foot enclosure at least (I have her in an 8 footer).

I have two 50% SD females the same age who are fine in the 48"x30" size enclosure.

If you want a retic that will stay on the smaller side get a high-percentage SD.
    Thank you. I want a large snake and I do realize how large retics and burms get, just not exactly how quickly. I just want to know if it'll outgrow the enclosure before I have room for a larger, two years was actually an overestimation of the time just to make absolutely certain it wouldn't outgrow. I will definitely not be getting a retic yet then since it will outgrow it too soon, I wouldn't want to squeeze a big snake into a small enclosure.

Thanks

My mainland male retic hit 7 feet in his first year. He's now 15 months and easily pushing 8 feet. They grow quick! He's in a 72x30x18 Animal Plastics cage. While he doesn't do much in the day, at night, he uses every inch of his cage. He could probably still be ok in a 48x24x24, but it looks like he definitely utilizes the extra space.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Burmese pythons grow quickly, too.

Three of us split shipping on 3 Burmese hatchlings from the same clutch of eggs. At 14 months, my female was 6 feet long. The other two snakes were over 7 feet. IMO, a 4x2x2 cage would need replacing in about a year.

By the way, a lot of cages for big snakes have no way to keep you separate from the snake at feeding time. A stupid feeding accident with a 2 year old (or older) Burm or retic can be life threatening. Just something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by paulh; 07-07-2016 at 03:20 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    retics def grow faster, my male mainland i used to have hit 11ft in a year and 5 months while my 2 and a half year old female burm was only 8-9 ft. my female burm is now 12-13 foot at 6 years old and my 5 year old male burm is 8-9 ft, both are in 8'x3'x2' cages.
    from my experience retics usually grow in length first then fatten up a bit. the retic would easily outgrow a 4x2x2 in a year, but it may be possible to keep a male burm in that for almost 2 years

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    My retic was underfed, so she grew really slowly. She was in a tub (I'd have to check the size) for most of the time I've had her, until she hit 4'-4.5'. I moved her into her 4'x2' in December, and she's already outgrown it. At the rate she's growing, she'll outgrow her 6'x2' before I can even get her in it. I'm hoping to have a Herpstat in by end of September, but I may just have to temporarily get some more Hydrofarms, because she appears to be 7'-8'. I can't get her 8'x4' this year because it takes so long for the cage to be built and shipped out, and I plan on moving by the end of the year. She'll be turning 2 years in about 2 months, so she's actually a couple feet behind in growth, but she was fed fuzzy mice every 2 weeks for the first 6 months of her life, so she got a slow start. So, yeah, they grow fast. I wouldn't even count on a year being long enough for your 4'x2' to last unless you got a hatchling, or a super dwarf. Then maybe it would last you 2-3 years, or life if the snake stays small. I hear a pure male tops out at 6'-7'. I don't know much about Burms.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")