Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,080

2 members and 3,078 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

Good Suriname breeders?

I'm looking to get a pure suriname boa, preferably female, and I want to know which breeders others think are best. I'm not looking for morphs but hypo is okay. I prefer the look of normal light suriname over any morphs.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    There are no hypo Suriname boas, not really any morphs at all. (there was an albino back in the day but I believe he never produced offspring, not 100% sure it was pure but supposed to be).

There are some hobbyist breeders of pure locality stock on http://www.reptileinsider.com/index.php but I can't specifically recommend anyone as I don't work with the shield boas (Suriname/Guyana)

Also be prepared to spend $300-600+ for a nice true locality boa, just fyi

Surinames are gorgeous and one of the larger localities. Good luck!
    For the Horde!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (06-26-2016),TurkeyPython (06-30-2016)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Re: Good Suriname breeders?

Mine was bred by Bob Futo, there's several breeders on the pure locality boa FB page too.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (06-30-2016),AlexisFitzy (06-26-2016),Gio (06-28-2016),John1982 (06-30-2016),TurkeyPython (06-30-2016)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    There are no hypo Suriname boas, not really any morphs at all. (there was an albino back in the day but I believe he never produced offspring, not 100% sure it was pure but supposed to be).

There are some hobbyist breeders of pure locality stock on http://www.reptileinsider.com/index.php but I can't specifically recommend anyone as I don't work with the shield boas (Suriname/Guyana)

Also be prepared to spend $300-600+ for a nice true locality boa, just fyi

Surinames are gorgeous and one of the larger localities. Good luck!
    Thank you. I'm no good with boa morphs and I don't really care to learn about them since I prefer normals anyway so I did not know that. And I was already planning on having a minimum $500 available. I noticed you grouped suriname ands guanya together, I've been curious about that but no one's given me a real answer. Are those two the same localities or not?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TurkeyPython For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (06-30-2016)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyPython View Post
    I noticed you grouped suriname ands guanya together, I've been curious about that but no one's given me a real answer. Are those two the same localities or not?
    that is a very good question and highly debated! There is a very good discussion about it here:
    http://www.boaconstrictor.net/forums...ead.php?t=2221
    specifically post #9
    sadly a lot of the image links are now broken.

Back in the 90s they were considered different localities of true red tails. It was in the early 2000*s that people started to look at the topography and not seeing any real natural borders between the countries (mountain ranges) call the area 'Guyana Shield' or simply "shield". Map:
    http://www.weltrekordreise.ch/flags-...uyanas_map.jpg

Personally I feel there are some differences that are brought out depending on which area they are 'from' (assuming the founding stock was actually exported from the country of origin and the trappers didn't simply cross the border, rumors abound of that happening since suris could sometimes fetch a slightly higher price, that type of thing).

For *me* - a Suri has sharper, more pointed peaks and pink/red tones. A Guyana has more rounded peaks and purple tones.
    But again, at this point, Suri and Guyana are called Shields and are generally considered the same.

*please note that my observations on this topic and the timing of changes, are just that, my personal observations based on conversations and forum posts

I hope this helps a little
    I took in a rescue Guyana a long time ago, sadly he passed even with vet help but he was gorgeous and if I ever kept true locality again, Guyana or Suri would be my pick.

I hope you find one you like and share some pics.
    For the Horde!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

John1982 (06-30-2016)

Thanks
    I had a pair of adult w/c Surinam boas years ago and they were very different from any other boa I had ever seen. Their base color was a light creamy pink with definitely contrast on their markings. They also had an almost iridescent glow to them (like a Brazilian rainbow boa). Truly gorgeous animals. Excellent temperament considering what they came from. Sadly I was never successful in breeding them and sold them off after a few years.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    that is a very good question and highly debated! There is a very good discussion about it here:
    http://www.boaconstrictor.net/forums...ead.php?t=2221
    specifically post #9
    sadly a lot of the image links are now broken.

Back in the 90s they were considered different localities of true red tails. It was in the early 2000*s that people started to look at the topography and not seeing any real natural borders between the countries (mountain ranges) call the area 'Guyana Shield' or simply "shield". Map:
    http://www.weltrekordreise.ch/flags-...uyanas_map.jpg

Personally I feel there are some differences that are brought out depending on which area they are 'from' (assuming the founding stock was actually exported from the country of origin and the trappers didn't simply cross the border, rumors abound of that happening since suris could sometimes fetch a slightly higher price, that type of thing).

For *me* - a Suri has sharper, more pointed peaks and pink/red tones. A Guyana has more rounded peaks and purple tones.
    But again, at this point, Suri and Guyana are called Shields and are generally considered the same.

*please note that my observations on this topic and the timing of changes, are just that, my personal observations based on conversations and forum posts

I hope this helps a little
    I took in a rescue Guyana a long time ago, sadly he passed even with vet help but he was gorgeous and if I ever kept true locality again, Guyana or Suri would be my pick.

I hope you find one you like and share some pics.
    Thank you for that. I have been very confused about the whole thing, that helped a bit.

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enginee837 View Post
    I had a pair of adult w/c Surinam boas years ago and they were very different from any other boa I had ever seen. Their base color was a light creamy pink with definitely contrast on their markings. They also had an almost iridescent glow to them (like a Brazilian rainbow boa). Truly gorgeous animals. Excellent temperament considering what they came from. Sadly I was never successful in breeding them and sold them off after a few years.
    Yeah, they are the most beautiful boas I've ever seen which is why I'm interested in that specific locality. I'm not currently wanting to breed anything but if I do find myself a nice pure female you can bet your biscuits I'll be on the lookout for a nice pure male in a couple years