Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,112

2 members and 3,110 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Setting up a GLASS tank - question about lights and lids

Heya!
    I'll be a first time danger noodle uncle (I hate the 'd' or 'f' word) and I just have a question;

I'll be using a glass tank. I've read the tub vs tank extensively, but I still prefer a tank to a tub ( I mean, I do have a clear tub, but it's full of fabric for costuming right now...).
    I've read that BP's, due to being nocturnal and living in mounts, don't *need* lights, but still need a day/night cycle. I will be constructing a custom fit plexi-glass top for this tank.

Now, since they don't need any bright light lamp, but I will need one to probably heat the air in the tank (UTH don't change ambient temperature?), what kind of bulb would be best to use? Red, black, moonlight, ceramic? Should this lamp heat be on a 12-hour timer to simulate the night drops in the wild? There is a lamp-dome at PetSmart that has a built in dimmer I'll probably get for this, too.

Ah, as for the tank top, I drew you a diagram!

The lid I have planned fits snugly around the top of the tank and hangs down maybe 3 inches to give a good lip. The long sides will have hinges and velcro, and the short sides will be attached to the top piece and thus unmovable. (I mean, I can always switch it, too) My idea was, since I've read that BPs are escape artists, the velcro would help hold it down, and the hinges would make it easier to lift off of the tank thank shimmy it off if it were a bit tight.

If a loose-fitting plexi top would be heavy enough to thwart efforts, please tell me so I don't waste too much hardware, haha!

The other question would be is the holes in the middle enough to let the heat from the lamp in? Should there be another small area in the corner for air flow, rather than a central vent? Would bigger holes + screen over them be better than a lot of smaller holes (except for the air flow area)?

Thank you for reading :3

Thanks

Re: Setting up a GLASS tank - question about lights and lids

Looks like you've done your homework. As for ambiant temps most people would suggest a radiant heating unit on a thermostat, as lights tend to make keeping humidity up an issue. If you go for a light my personal choice is a red light in a ceramic fixture. The red light isn't noticeable to the snake even at night so you can keep it on to make the ambient temp what you'd like. As far as the rest I'll let someone else answer as I'm still somewhat new at BPs. Congrats and welcome to the BP world
    1.0 pewter bee
    1.0 banana het pied
    0.1 pied
    1.1 mahogany
    0.1 golden retriever

3. The Following User Says Thank You to usaf21stsf For This Useful Post:

dan86 (05-28-2016)

Thanks

I have a lot of trouble keeping the humidity up in my glass tank, but I believe that's just because I went with a ceramic bulb. Also, BPs don't really need night time drops in temps to simulate the diurnal cycle, which is fine by me (less work). I believe they just use the actual light of your room to tell what time of day or night it is.

If you're using the plexiglass just to prevent escaping I'm sure your danger noodle will be more secure with the Velcro than just a loose lid (those tricky bastards!), but also its going to be way easier to keep humidity.

As for the number and size of the holes, you got me there.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Be sure to post a pic of your snooter scooter when you get him/her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Unless you have trouble keeping cool side to 78-82 then I wouldn't use any kind of bulb that would give off heat. If you do have trouble then I would get a che and put it over the cool side hide and attach to a thermostat or at least a dimmer. Also make sure your uth is on a thermostat. I would use LEDs whether or not your cool side temps are good for light since they give off little heat. I would still use LED if they cool side temps are not good and use a che to keep the cool temp up. That way you don't have bulbs taking away your humidity.

Best choice IMO would be a PVC cage like a T8 with an rhp installed and led for light cycle on timer. Divider for the T8 and 40w rhp (80w without divider) from reptile basics on a thermostat if the snake is young. All I use is PVC, never used glass tanks and I'm glad I haven't with all the trouble I hear with humidity from others. Plus PVC just looks nicer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrid16371; 05-28-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks

I have a glass tank with mesh top and I avoid aspen as that is no good for humidity in my opinion, unless you really wet it often or spray the tank numerous times and that presents many problems.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Don't forget the thermostats to regulate the heat lamp and the UTH.

With a plexiglass top you may be better off with two UTH's, set the one on the warm side for belly heat of 90-92*F, and the one on the cool side for 78-80*F. Put a hide over each to help trap the heat underneath. In the long run it will be cheaper since bulbs tend not to last long.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    By the way, the reason CHE's and heat bulbs tend to be bad for humidity is not the lamps themselves; it is because they go over wide open screen area that lets all the warm air rise out and take the moisture with it. I don't know about using one over top of plexiglass, but you'd want to make sure that it didn't make the plexiglass surface too hot. I agree that radiant heat panels are much easier, even if they're more expensive initially.

By the way, you can also use a UTH stuck to the side of the glass instead of the bottom. That will let it heat the air more, instead of just the substrate. It is also much less likely to get hot enough to burn if it is not covered by substrate because the substrate acts as insulation, trapping heat. It still needs to be on a thermostat or at the very least a dimmer, just to be sure. But that will do more for the ambient temperature.

The number and size of ventilation holes depends on how your humidity is once you get everything set up. If it's very dry in your house, you might need to cover some of them to retain humidity; if it's very humid, you might need more ventilation. You'll just have to find out once you set everything up.

Also, keep in mind that you might need to reasses your heating/ventilation situation in six or eight months depending on how the conditions in your house vary between summer and winter. Right now my living room is pretty close to perfect BP conditions by itself, LOL; but back in February not so much.

Thanks

Wow! Look at all these replies <3 Thank guys!

@Usa: Thanks! I've been reading a lot since my friend got a BP just about two weeks ago. There was a second at the store that got returned because the owners charred his mouth with a skillet-cooked rat. He's in isolation until he's better, and I want to adopt him and give him a better start.
    What is the benefit of the red bulbs to the black or moonlight?

@Wicked: No night drops, got it! And velcro seems better?Nice. I already had a 6ft roll on hand so I thought it'd help.

@Chrid: CHE is Ceramic Heat Emitter, yes? I don't know how the temps are gonna be, yet. I've yet to set it up. I'm hoping that my own cold-bloodedness will help keep my room at the right temp for the tank, also. Do CHE's draw up moisture less than bulbs do? Also, you've lost me on the LED thing...

Yikes! The second half of your message went way over my head. I'm just starting out, and I had a large glass tank in the basement for like. 30+ years so I thought I'd get some use out of it. Maybe in the future I'll upgrade, though :3

@dan: My friend has a very large bag of aspen but she found out she's allergic to it. She wanted to give it to me, but I had read that mulch is better for humidity.

@bcr: Oh yes! I have a thermostat on the way I got online~ Though if you suggest using two UTH, I'll need another one, yes?

@Coluber: What is a RHP? And, a UTH on the side will heat the ambient air better than a lamp - which will draw up all the moisture? Ok, that seems fair!

Alright, so.
    2 UTH, one on bottom, one on side, should hopefully heat the ambiance enough that I don't need a lamp.
    Holes in plexiglass depends on the humidity in tank.
    Aspen sucks for humidity
    If I do need a lamp, red light is best?
    Velco is a good idea to keep noodle from escaping.
    *PVC is better, but I'll upgrade later when I learn more.

Thanks
    A RHP is a radiant heat pannel. I've just set up 3 4ftx1ft vivs with RHPs and there really good to be honest.
    I started out with a glass viv and wouldn't recommend it but anyway. . I would use 2 under tank heaters underneath the tank on opposite sides with 2 different thermostats to have a hot and cold hide like suggested above. . Putting one on the side does warm up the ambient a little but but no where near what a bulb or che does.
    Use thin substrate to avoid burning your snake and I used bark chips for humidity. They worked best for me out of the ones I tried. Aspen was the worst for humidity for me.
    Avoid a CHE if possible as I found them to be the worst for drying out the air.

As long as you have a hot and a cold side at the right temp then the ambient really does not matter in my opinion. As long as your snake has somewhere to warm up and cool down.
    Last edited by Scottywelsh; 05-28-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    Unless your room is very cold then the ambient might need to have some help lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast