Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,363

3 members and 3,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Exclamation URGENT! Cocnut Husk In Eye!!!!

Just checked up to handle my comfortable 8 month old ball python. Everything was fine; ambient 80 degrees, heating pad is a nice 92, humidity at 70%. Though when i pick up my little lad he has some coconut lodged between his eye and his eyelid scales (the section between the eye and the scales). He was relaxed and shows no pain while i held him. As a owner i put him in a shallow luke warm bath which he enjoyed (surprised me for it being his first bath). The coconut husk piece is still in his eye though and as a responsible owner i felt it was time to contact some outside perspectives. I will like to say he is showing no abnormal behavior nor is he blind in the eye it just seems to be stuck. I use Eco earth coconut fiber and the piece in his eye is small and not debilitating. At the moment he is under a blanket poking his head out watching south park.

Edit: Really wish i could edit the title; coconut*.
    Last edited by OG Quick Nut; 05-28-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks

Re: URGENT! Cocnut Husk In Eye!!!!

If possible use some tweezers and gently remove it

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
    - The Grove Reptiles

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It should be no problem to just remove the little bit with tweezers, or with your fingers if it's big enough to grab. It's probably not "in" his eye, just sort of lodged in the little fold of skin between the spectacle and the neighboring scales.

Also, just to be on the safe side, you should probably post a pic of your snake poking his head out from under a blanket to watch South Park. You know, just to make sure we get enough cute snake pics today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
    It should be no problem to just remove the little bit with tweezers, or with your fingers if it's big enough to grab. It's probably not "in" his eye, just sort of lodged in the little fold of skin between the spectacle and the neighboring scales.

Also, just to be on the safe side, you should probably post a pic of your snake poking his head out from under a blanket to watch South Park. You know, just to make sure we get enough cute snake pics today.
    Yeah your right i couldn't word the scales in between his eye at the time because snakes don't have eyelids haha (Which is the only word i could think of at the time). Darn i really wish i took a pic of him watching South Park though because it was indeed cute. The main concern though is my ball python is EXTREMELY head shy. Me putting a tweezer anywhere near his head is comparable to water boarding him. Is that my last option, a friend in real life basically told me to wait for it to come out and gave the example of a splinter working it's way out the skin. I just want some advice on how to work on a snake whose extremely head shy?
    Last edited by OG Quick Nut; 05-28-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Asherah View Post
    If possible use some tweezers and gently remove it

He's about as head shy that a ball python can get, he doesn't even love me touching his upper neck. How would i get him to hold still while i put tweezers near his eye?
    Last edited by OG Quick Nut; 05-28-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OG Quick Nut View Post
    He's about as head shy that a ball python can get, he doesn't even love me touching his upper neck. How would i get him to hold still while i put tweezers near his eye?
    You'll have you grasp him firmly but gently on his neck just behind his head. You have to have a measure of control or you could poke him with the tweezers and compound your problems.

- The Grove Reptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Asherah View Post
    You'll have you grasp him firmly but gently on his neck just behind his head. You have to have a measure of control or you could poke him with the tweezers and compound your problems.

That's what i was thinking. I don't know if i'm going to be able to safely do that then. As soon as he see's the tweezers he moves away! I'm serious he looked directly at the tweezers and started moving his head! And people say snakes run pure instinct haha. I swear he knows their for taking the piece from his eye haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OG Quick Nut View Post
    That's what i was thinking. I don't know if i'm going to be able to safely do that then. As soon as he see's the tweezers he moves away! I'm serious he looked directly at the tweezers and started moving his head! And people say snakes run pure instinct haha. I swear he knows their for taking the piece from his eye haha.
    Your grip should be just behind his head. He shouldn't be able to move away if you do it properly.

- The Grove Reptiles

Thanks

They generally don't enjoy being grasped behind the end, in all my experience they freak out and flail around a bit at first. No matter how gentle of a grasp, if you aren't letting go the snake will flail. I'd be prepared for that and have a way to prevent him from flailing and twisting his body so he doesn't hurt himself.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't worry about it. Snake eyes are covered by a clear scale called the brille, it's not hurting him at all, however getting near your snakes eyes with a tweezers is really not that good of an idea as you can accidentally cause a real injury. If it's really bothering you that much, just spritz it away with a squirt of water from a spray bottle.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus