Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

1 members and 2,874 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

A couple breeding questions

Hi All,

So, I have a breeding setup (mostly) done, but I have a few questions about it. I currently have 6x Sterilite 17571706 66-Quart ClearView Latch bins for breeding, and 4x Sterilite 17641704 110-Quart Clear View Latch bins as growout bins.

I currently have 2 males (unkown age but definitely old enough to breed, got from petstore), and 5 females (approx. 7 weeks old).

Approximately how many rats do you think I could safely house in the growout bins, assuming I don't want to change the bedding more than 2x a week at most? -It would be helpful to know at each growth stage, or at least a ratio for each (eg 1 medium rat=2 small, etc.)

Once my first generation grows up, would I be able to house 2 females per breeding bin safely? (I am planning on reducing to 1 male at this point, and put the male on a 1 week rotation through all 6 bins)

Also, for future reference, how many asf's would I be able to have in my growout bins (as I may start breeding them too in the future).

And, for any Canadians out there, have you found any better places to buy feed/bedding online than chinchilla.ca? I can't do local because I live in the middle of nowhere, and the closest pet/feed stores charge a ridiculous amount for small bags of super high protein and fat content lab blocks (and I am not screwing with a 'balanced' mixed food diet)

Just for reference, I am setting up rat breeding as a way to offset the costs of raw feeding my cat and ferrets more than anything else, and I have been told I am pretty much guaranteed all my excess stock will be bought.

These questions are mostly so I can more easily figure out my costs a bit better, and how much space I need (as well as have an idea how how many rats to cull at what age range).

Thanks
    I generally keep 4-5 adult rats, sometimes with a few <1mo olds in 110qts (these are my "main" living tubs). I clean tubs at least once a week. I find disinfecting weekly helps a lot with odour and healthy environment. I use vinegar/water solution.

For grow outs only in 110qts, I guess it depends on how much you want them to grow out lol. If I'm not keeping the rat, I cull around 5 weeks. So an entire litter or two would be fine until then in 110qts. This all depends on how much space you want to give them and how often you want to clean. I can't really give a concrete answer bc other factors like food, amount of ventilation, stress, etc will all contribute. Don't overthink it too much. Once you have litters on the ground you'll learn how to eyeball it.

I'm in Ontario but I can't help w online shopping, I do all of mine in store. Do you have a TSC in the area?

Thanks

Re: A couple breeding questions

Quote Originally Posted by pariahdog View Post
    I generally keep 4-5 adult rats, sometimes with a few <1mo olds in 110qts (these are my "main" living tubs). I clean tubs at least once a week. I find disinfecting weekly helps a lot with odour and healthy environment. I use vinegar/water solution.

For grow outs only in 110qts, I guess it depends on how much you want them to grow out lol. If I'm not keeping the rat, I cull around 5 weeks. So an entire litter or two would be fine until then in 110qts. This all depends on how much space you want to give them and how often you want to clean. I can't really give a concrete answer bc other factors like food, amount of ventilation, stress, etc will all contribute. Don't overthink it too much. Once you have litters on the ground you'll learn how to eyeball it.

I'm in Ontario but I can't help w online shopping, I do all of mine in store. Do you have a TSC in the area?
    I'm mostly asking about capacity so I can figure out my costs, just because I like doing excel charts like that, and that's the last bit of information I need to have a complete per rat cost breakdown/ expected amounts of each size I will have in stock.

Also, when I say I have to buy online, I mean its cheaper to pay $120 shipping on 2 bags of Harlan Allen and 2 bags of Harlan 2018 than it is to buy feed/PINE shavings local (and by local I mean a 45 minute highway drive away).

As far as I am aware, I am also one of the only 2 rat breeders in the area as well, and the other one feeds a seed mix supplemented with (if I remember right) chicken baby food (might be a different canned meat though...) when the mothers are ready to pop/breastfeeding still.

Thanks
    And by Harlan Allen I meant Harlan Aspen (stupid agressive LG auto-correct...)

On a side note, where is the edit button? I can't find it anywhere.